Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Regular poly carpet or SmartStrand?

Posted by Indecider (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 20:36

If you had to choose between these for your "forever" dream home (that also contains two small children and one dog), which would you go with?

#1 - A 60 oz multi-colored frieze from the backroom stock of a local store. Salesmen doesn't provide itemized quote, but price for carpet, 8lb pad and install is $5500. Based on the price (for 150 sq yds), I doubt this is a SmartStrand fiber. They are very secretive with the carpet's "stats" other than to tout the 60 oz faceweight and how nice it feels. I assume the carpet is about $24/yd which I feel is pricey for regular polyester.

#2 - A 35 oz multi-colored frieze, which I can order in any color available, from big box store. Verified installer is local, trusted company and got detailed install quote to avoid surprise charges. $4500 for everything.

My thoughts:
The product from the local store is likely better, but I'm worried the poly fibers are going to mat down super quickly since it's not SmartStrand. Meanwhile, DH loves the pricetag on the 35 oz big box carpet and his logic is that our kids and dog will thrash whatever we get, so let's go cheap and replace later.

I then counter with the fact that the $5500 for the better carpet will be part of our mortgage, so what's $1000 if it makes the carpet last twice as long? Installing new in a brand new house with no furniture is easy. Getting new carpet in a house you live in is a PITA. And then it's out of pocket and not part of the mortgage.

Honestly, I'd spend $10k if someone could truly promise the carpet would last 15 years and look great. But I know that hardly anyone actually honors those wear warranties so I will not purchase based on some "warranty".

I believe both products will have the same stain resistance due to the poly content. What I don't know is which will wear better...normal poly with higher weight or SmartStrand with lower weight? I will be "crushed" (haha) if what I choose ends up matted down within the year. Any help is appreciated. Sorry for lenght, wanted to include details.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Regular poly carpet or SmartStrand?

I just posted a thread in Remodeling asking if I would regret getting the regular poly carpet. I know the answer already though. Sigh. We don't have high traffic, but still.....

I think, based on past threads, you're going to be told to get the best now, and go with the SmartStrand. I have a feeling we are going to be replacing this carpet sooner than later!
With two kids and a dog yes that is going to "try" the carpet. But, it's still thousands of dollars, and are you going to want to replace all that in just a few years?
In our case, it's only two bedrooms. One of which I'm hoping stays as a guest BR where we never get guests. I'm hoping that DD stays in her own place - crossing fingers. She was SO hard on the carpet in her room it was unbelieveable. So we waited and waited till she moved.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here