Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
indecider

Regular poly carpet or SmartStrand?

Indecider
10 years ago

If you had to choose between these for your "forever" dream home (that also contains two small children and one dog), which would you go with?

#1 - A 60 oz multi-colored frieze from the backroom stock of a local store. Salesmen doesn't provide itemized quote, but price for carpet, 8lb pad and install is $5500. Based on the price (for 150 sq yds), I doubt this is a SmartStrand fiber. They are very secretive with the carpet's "stats" other than to tout the 60 oz faceweight and how nice it feels. I assume the carpet is about $24/yd which I feel is pricey for regular polyester.

#2 - A 35 oz multi-colored frieze, which I can order in any color available, from big box store. Verified installer is local, trusted company and got detailed install quote to avoid surprise charges. $4500 for everything.

My thoughts:
The product from the local store is likely better, but I'm worried the poly fibers are going to mat down super quickly since it's not SmartStrand. Meanwhile, DH loves the pricetag on the 35 oz big box carpet and his logic is that our kids and dog will thrash whatever we get, so let's go cheap and replace later.

I then counter with the fact that the $5500 for the better carpet will be part of our mortgage, so what's $1000 if it makes the carpet last twice as long? Installing new in a brand new house with no furniture is easy. Getting new carpet in a house you live in is a PITA. And then it's out of pocket and not part of the mortgage.

Honestly, I'd spend $10k if someone could truly promise the carpet would last 15 years and look great. But I know that hardly anyone actually honors those wear warranties so I will not purchase based on some "warranty".

I believe both products will have the same stain resistance due to the poly content. What I don't know is which will wear better...normal poly with higher weight or SmartStrand with lower weight? I will be "crushed" (haha) if what I choose ends up matted down within the year. Any help is appreciated. Sorry for lenght, wanted to include details.

Comment (1)