Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
caulk where the subfloor meets the drywall?

Posted by brickhouse (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 13, 10 at 20:25

I was reading up on how to start our hw floor diy install. One place said to caulk where the subfloor meets the drywall to save energy and keep dust from coming up form the crawlspace.
Is this a good idea? The space between the floor joists is already insulated under the floor.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: caulk where the subfloor meets the drywall?

Back in the day, caulking the framing seams was an upgrade to the basic insulation package, so, yes it is not completely unheard of to seal that joint. Since the advent of housewrap/tyvek, I don't know how prevalent the practice remains. It is one spot where a draft is particularly unwelcome.
Outside walls only.
Casey

o

I am preparing for hw floors too. We've had a terrible draft that came from under the baseboards. After pulling up the baseboards I can see why. The concrete slab is separated a good inch from the foundation and there is only drywall and outside siding keeping out the wind. I'm going to put down expanding insulation foam.

o

Thanks!
Aside form taking off the siding to peek. How would I know if my house was wrapped?
It was built in 1995 but the prior owner was the gc and during the reno we have found many things are non-standard that this guy did.

o

One other reason for caulking where the angles meet is pest control. That area is where fleas, roaches and the dreaded bedbugs like to hang out and chat and make babies.

Caulking that area was always part of my pest control on rental properties.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here