Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stellablue19_gw

Our "new" refinished hardwoods - Love them!

stellablue19
9 years ago

We just had our 1956 hardwoods refinished, and new hardwood added where there was not existing. I am so in love with my new floors (we've had wall-to-wall carpet up until now)!

Out of ~1,000 square feet, I seriously have a favorite board. Does that make me weird?

Our hardwood guy told me this one is "spalted" which happens where there is a fungus in the tree. It's the only one we have, I think. I love it!!

Comments (5)

• glennsfc
    9 years ago

Not weird at all. When I refinished floors on a regular basis, I would enjoy watching the beauty of the wood become revealed as I worked the floor. I would find special boards that I considered particularly beautiful because of a graining characteristic that made it aesthetically pleasing.

Enjoy your newly refinished floor.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Love your floors - everyone needs a "pet" board :).

My whole house is oak floors and most have been installed in "remodel" and "build-on" phases. My favorite floors are the ones in the original part of the house built it 1970 - just a tiny, cheap little ranch style house (thus the need for building on). They are the 1970 version of "cabin grade" but with very little knot holes. Various wood workers who have been through my home love them - they tell me even though they are supposed to be red oak, there seems to be a mix of some other woods - some are burled, some look like walnut, some quarter sawn, some not. They are interesting. Just wondering, is there an oak that has lots of dark (blackish) streaks??

My newer floors in clear #1 grade oak are nice, but not as interesting.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

I have several not-favorite boards.

The one in the office with a spider-shaped knot that freaks me out every time I bumble in there in the morning, before coffee. The one near the kitchen with the knot that looks just like a cockroach in dim light.

If I had been thinking, I would have installed them somewhere else, but when you are in a board-by-board slog it's hard to predict

The favorite - no pics of it - is from a badly insect-stressed tree. It's oak, but it looks like burled walnut.

• stellablue19
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OMG, knots that resemble spiders or cockroaches! That is too funny, and now I'm probably going to subconsciously be on the lookout for those in my floor. ;-).

I'm glad to hear it's not just me picking out my favorite little piece! I am so fascinated by the history of our house and every little imperfection or knot in these boards tells a story. Even a little area in my son's room where someone went nuts with a nail gun. TONS of tiny nails concentrated in one little spot. I like to think of it as a parent furiously trying to stop boards from squeaking when trying to sneak in to kiss their kid good night. :-)

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

The floors look nice. I love your favorite board. What sheen level did you go with?