Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhiroux_gw

Need ideas/advice for "sealing" floating floor from cat urine

RhiRoux
9 years ago

Hey y'all! My husband and I foster cats in our home and needless to say, they've destroyed the carpet with urine and we can't have visitors due to the smell. So, we spent the weekend tearing out the carpet and saturating the concrete slab with Fizzion (enzyme cleaner)... so far, the results are sub par, which brings me to the first part of my question... Is there anything I can use to seal the concrete, that the smell will not permeate? Is it even safe to seal the slab, or must it stay water permeable on top?
The second half of my question is regarding sealing the new floor. We are putting in the click and lock floating Smartcore floors from Lowes. It claims to be waterproof but I'm worried about urine seeping in between the seams, expanding the fibers and essentially putting us back at square one with a crappy floor. We do not plan on staying in this house forever, so whatever we do, will need to be somewhat attractive, while still being functional for our needs. Does anyone have any ideas of what we can seal the smartcore with? I was thinking about that epoxy they use in garages, which I realize is normally for concrete, but do they have anything like that for (fake) wood floors, that is easy to maintain? Any suggestions of specifics products that meet the above criteria would be greatly appreciated! (Especially if it's diy and not ridiculously expensive.)

Comments (6)