Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement flooring-looking for input on pricing

Posted by as17821 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 22, 11 at 19:34

We're in the middle of finishing our basement, and have arrived at the flooring stage. We have a space of just under 1200 sq ft which we're looking to cover with a floating floor of engineered hardwood (we're going to go with a kind that locks together easily), 70 sq ft to be covered with ceramic tile, and a standard staircase, which is going to be carpeted.

Just received the labor estimates, and this being my first time with this type of thing, I just want to know if they're reasonable or not. The engineered hardwood flooring estimate is $2,240, the ceramic tile estimate is $350, and the stairway estimate is $400 (that price includes the installation, carpet and padding).

I think I'm ok with the stairway and ceramic tile estimates, but I was surprised at the cost of the engineered hardwood installation. My expectation was that the fact that the floor is going to be floating and locking into place (ie, no gluing, nailing, etc) would make the installation much easier and therefore quicker. He's planning to charge $2/sq ft, which is what they advertise at Lowe's and Home Depot for any hardwood flooring (regardless of whether it needs to be glued or nailed). It seems that without having to mess with gluing and nailing, that project should move pretty quickly, and as such, shouldn't cost me as much as a much more complicated installation would. Am I off base here?

Also, we're thinking about purchasing the flooring from Home Depot, as they seem to have the best selection. Anyone know of any reason to avoid them?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement flooring-looking for input on pricing

Since I'm paying 2.50/sq. ft for installation of laminate, plus an additional fee for old flooring removal, and some other add-on costs, $2/sq. ft. sounds pretty good to me. I'd have gone with Lowes or HD if they'd carried the brand I selected, but they don't so I went with a different company I've used in the past. HD uses local contractors for their installations and warrants them, so I'd say the risks/benefits are about the same.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here