Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
as17821

Basement flooring-looking for input on pricing

as17821
12 years ago

We're in the middle of finishing our basement, and have arrived at the flooring stage. We have a space of just under 1200 sq ft which we're looking to cover with a floating floor of engineered hardwood (we're going to go with a kind that locks together easily), 70 sq ft to be covered with ceramic tile, and a standard staircase, which is going to be carpeted.

Just received the labor estimates, and this being my first time with this type of thing, I just want to know if they're reasonable or not. The engineered hardwood flooring estimate is $2,240, the ceramic tile estimate is $350, and the stairway estimate is $400 (that price includes the installation, carpet and padding).

I think I'm ok with the stairway and ceramic tile estimates, but I was surprised at the cost of the engineered hardwood installation. My expectation was that the fact that the floor is going to be floating and locking into place (ie, no gluing, nailing, etc) would make the installation much easier and therefore quicker. He's planning to charge $2/sq ft, which is what they advertise at Lowe's and Home Depot for any hardwood flooring (regardless of whether it needs to be glued or nailed). It seems that without having to mess with gluing and nailing, that project should move pretty quickly, and as such, shouldn't cost me as much as a much more complicated installation would. Am I off base here?

Also, we're thinking about purchasing the flooring from Home Depot, as they seem to have the best selection. Anyone know of any reason to avoid them?

Thanks in advance.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH