Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amav31

Filling staple holes on hardwood after removing carpet

amav31
11 years ago

I removed my carpet and found beautiful hardwood underneath. I love the light maple color and is in very good shape.

My contractor says I should sand and apply 2 coats of polyurethane.

I really do not want to rent and sand nor spend money on expensive refinishing since the floors look so good. I am planning to get a wood putty and fill the staple holes and then use Rejuvenate 32 oz. Floor Restorer & Protectant that I read reviews on Home Depot's site.

Can someone suggest what I should do or have any other ideas.

Thank you in advance.

Comments (10)

• gregmills_gw
    11 years ago

How old is the home? Many times if the floor is old enough the finish is a floor varnish. Something completely different than todays urethanes.

The floor rejuvenator you speak may or may not give you the desired results. If its varnish its a waste of money. If the finish is a urethane it could do something.

My suggestion is dont expect too much abd you wont be disapointed.

The nail holes you speak of will fill just fine with a colored wood putty. Just fill then wipe excess up with a damp rag.

If the finish is a urethane you could save some money and have a professional come out and do a buff and coat.

Either way it wont cost anything to have a floor guy come out and tell you how much for both a resand and a buff n coat.

• AliceHasLeftTheBuilding
    11 years ago

If you want the staple holes to blend in better, get several colors of wood putty rather than just one. Make sure they are all close to the color of the existing floor and apply as randomly as you can - that way you will be less likely to see the straight lines from the staple holes. You can mix small amounts of different putties to get an infinite number of colors.

• amav31
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. The house was built in 1974. The floors do not look dull and worn and looks kind of bright. You think it is varnish?
    Should a varnish be removed before you put anything on it?
    Thanks for your suggestion.

• glennsfc
    11 years ago

A floor of that vintage will usually have a flm-forming finish as the coating. It could be one of several different types. Since you say that the floor is 'bright'...that leads me to believe it is not an oilbased polyurethane, nor a varnish.

The advice to get a professional in to assess your floor is a good one.

• gregmills_gw
    11 years ago

If it turns out to be varnish it will need to be removed. But being its 1974 i dont think it is. But i cant see it so i cant say for sure. Call a pro out and see what they think. Just tell them you wsnt a bid on a buff n coat and when they are there ask what type of finish. You may be happy with what they quote you at. But you dont have to agree to anything. Just sn idea to get someone out there.

They could also give you the pros and cons of using that floor rejuvinator. Just be aware they are looking for a sale.

• amav31
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all your suggestions. Just posted a picture of the floors. As you can see the finish has not weared off and it is nice and shiny. Did the wax test, dropped some water on the floor and waited for 10 minutes. Nothing happened.
    Maybe I will just buff and coat next spring, but meanwhile I wanted to put something on it to give temporary protection.
    I know it is hard to guess from pictures , but if you think you know what finish please guess. I will not hold anybody upto it.

• amav31
    Original Author
    11 years ago

some more pictures

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Your floors are in very nice condition for their age and appear to be polyurethane finished. Pros may disagree.

They appear to have some minimal wear - not bad at all. Are you currently living in the house? That does make a difference with dealing with dust, etc..

If these were MY floors I would do a light sanding and cleaning (I think they call this screening) and do a new top coat or two of poly. This will make them as good as new and last you for many years. I did this a few years ago to my kitchen and dining area.

On the other hand, if you don't want to do this now, I definitely WOULD NOT apply any type of wax type coating on them. That will just make it harder to do a light screen and poly later.

Looking forward to your decision.

• amav31
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We do live here and that is why I do not want to sand or screen. I will think about it next summer. I will surely do screening rather than sanding. But until then I want to use some kind of top coat for protection. Minwax floor reviver low gloss and Rejuvenate floor refresher are on my list.

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

Leave them alone. If you put that crap on them, then you will have to sand down to bare wood to get a new finish coat on them. Or just leave the carpet in place until you are ready for a screen and recoat. It's protecting the floors, and that is what you say you want.