Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inexpensive flooring option??

Posted by twingle (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 18:19

My house needs a ton of work, so I have to do it in stages. I am hoping to enlarge my kitchen/great room area by taking over my garage. So the new great room area will be 25 x 25. I would love to have wood floors but money will be really tight. Any ideas? I have 4 boys (8-12rs old) and a 110 lb puppy. So it needs to take abuse and clean well. Thxs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inexpensive flooring option??

An idea I always wanted to try and haven't yet. You could take OSB like 1/2" and cut it into squares say 18" or 24" and glue it down with a wood flooring glue. Basically, you're making wood tiles. You could tight lay or leave grout lines and use black grout. Buff it with a buffer to smooth out any splinters and then put some finish over it. The floor will be warm on the feet and the variety of the OSB will hide the wear and tear from the boys. There is 32 sq ft in a sheet of OSB so that should be about .50 sq ft for the wood and you could sand and refinish the floor when it gets thrashed. Don't think you could get much cheaper. Would like to see some pics if you decide to go this route.

o

Here's a link for plywood flooring. My aunt and uncle did something similar in their summer cabin and they love it!

http://www.remodelaholic.com/2011/01/amazing-plank-look-plywood-flooring-tutorial/

o

I think that is GREAT!!!! I live in a old farmhouse that we are redoing. I hope the floors in the living room are good but if they arent i am going to try this

o

WOW that looks amazing what a fabulous idea!! I might just use it!

o

When I did "budget update" for my kitchen I wanted a wood floor, I bought Costco's Bamboo Strand. The price was 59 a box, someone else figured it out to be 2.07 sq ft, he used all pieces, I discarded pieces which I didn't like. Just another idea.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/flooring/msg0702143821075.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here