Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinytexan

Online flooring prices

tinytexan
13 years ago

Hello all! I have been a lurker these past few weeks as we embark on a pretty significant remodel in our house. The information I have gotten here has been invaluable so far, but this is my first time posting my own question.

We are Using a KD who has been helpful thus far, and I do feel like I can trust her, but in the past couple of days we have run into a hiccup that is causing me some concern. We were thinking about laying down travertine on about 1080 sq ft., but the cost with install was coming to about $15K. Tthis was more than we wanted to spend so we thought the daltile San Michele porcelain tile would be a more affordable option. Our KD priced it at about $5.50/sq ft. Here is the issue, I found it online for about $3.50/ sq ft. That is a $2000 difference. KD tells me that it must be a "bad batch" of the tile probably. Supposedly this is what her Daltile guy told her. I don't want to start down the path of distrusting her, but I also want to do my due diligence and get the most for my money. If I'm going to pay $5.50 per sq foot for porcelain, I would just as soon pay $8.50/ sq ft for the travertine.

So, I guess my question is whether or not what she is saying is correct, or is she taking the route that is easiest for without regards to my budget.

Btw the online flooring was at Fastfloors.com.

I apologize if this question has been asked before

Comments (7)

• echoflooring
    13 years ago

I will look it up and give you my opinion. Awfully big spread on Daltile and Daltine could give a hoot about online retailers..So I will look up cost.

• gryane
    13 years ago

Since you're talking porcelain, differences in quality shouldn't be an issue so I don't buy your KD's reasoning. If you were still considering the travertine, I would be more concerned about the possible differences in quality of the natural stone or country of origin being reflected in the pricing. That's not to say you can't find top grade materials at a discount.

I have been shopping around for marble and travertine tiles for two bathrooms and have found pricing to be quite varied out there - even among local retailers. I found a reputable local place with great prices. A different tile place called to follow up with me and when I told him the deal I found he was able to beat it (coming down significantly from the original price quoted) - shows you the flexibility these places have in their pricing.

I think with a little leg work you should be able to find lower pricing on both the travertine and the porcelain. Good luck.

• clg7067
    13 years ago

I've always found that Daltile is MUCH cheaper online than in the store. And I know the seller was reputable. Check shipping costs, though. I was looking at some stone online and after shipping there was very little savings.

• tinytexan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Because of where I live (there is a Daltile warehouse practically in my backyard) I would pick it up directly From the warehouse with no shipping. They offer a full manufacturers warranty and is regular product, not seconds. I'm pretty sure there is no reason I shouldn't get it online. I just don't know what my KD's deal is. Why wouldn't she be ok with me getting it as cheaply as possible? Is she getting a piece of the action? Is she trying to run up the cost so her fee will be higher? It is just frustrating.

• clg7067
    13 years ago

Can you do that? Buy it online and pick it up locally? That would be great because I work near a Daltile warehouse.

• tinytexan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That is what the qualityfloooring4less.com rep told me. I would certainly check it out. I just wish I knew someone who had done it so I could have some first hand knowledge.

• cflaherty
    12 years ago

Clg7067,
    What ended up happening w your flooring? Did u use daltile?