Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dneubecker

Bouncy Pre-finished Hardwood Floor

mdln
9 years ago

Had pre-finished hardwood floor installed (in 2 bedroom & hall area) as floating floor per manufacturers recommendations.

Unfortunately - it seems - the subfloor was not flat/level and there is a bouncy/springy feeling & very noticeable movement in several areas of the floor, when you walk on it. I did not notice it until I had friends over to help me find things for my final punch list.

Am not sure if I should have it fixed. GC offered $$$ credit if I accept it and also offered to pull the floor up to fix it.

Does anyone have any advice? Thank you.

Comments (5)

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

a little bounce is going to happen, ideally you want to spend the time to make sure you sand/grind out large humps, and shim depressions.

by not doing anything, you risk breaking tongue's and causing pre-mature damage, that eventually will happen, its just matter of a few months or a few years.

you might get away with never having an issue, that all depends on the amount of usage the floor sees.

if you do break a tongue from excessive bounce, warranty wont cover it. infact because the subfloor wasn't properly prepared, you might not even have a warranty anymore.

If this was my house, and my job. I would have it fixed...

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

gregmills, Thank you so much for your comment, that is exactly the information I was looking for. I never even thought of breaking the tongues. Again, thank you!

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

My neighbor had the same problem and when you walked in certain areas, the lamps and other items would jiggle on the tables. It would drive me crazy, but she elected to live with it and I haven't heard her complaining about it. If you don't have your furniture in yet, you might be surprised when you do move it in.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jellytoast, something else I'd not even thought of. I don't have any furniture yet, but I will borrow a table and lamp to test this out. Thank you!

Am leaning toward replacing.....

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"Jellytoast, something else I'd not even thought of. I don't have any furniture yet, but I will borrow a table and lamp to test this out. Thank you!"

In my neighbor's house, not everywhere produced the "shaking", just certain areas that I assume were low spots. For instance, when she'd turn the corner at the end of her hallway, the lamp and items on her end table next to her sofa would shake. There were a few other areas as well, but it was not everywhere across the entire floor, so I'm not sure you'd be able to duplicate any potential issues just by moving a single table and lamp in.