Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
li999

Acid Stain sealer question - please help!

li999
16 years ago

I'm in the midst of having my basement floors acid stained by a concrete contractor. (The house was built in 89 and the floors were originally covered by carpet.) I think I've made a mistake in choice of sealer and wondered if anyone can advise. (The floor won't be sealed until Monday so I think I can maybe reverse the decision if necessary). The basic package included a basic sealer. Epoxy or polyutherane was offered as an upgrade to create a glossier finish. I chose the upgrade and for some reason chose the polyutherane over the epoxy. I was in a rush to get this done and should have done more research:( I'm now thinking this is a mistake. I've read on other forums that when using polyutherane, any moisture in the slab will cause bubbles??? I don't believe there is moisture in the cement but it seems risky to bet on it given this is a basement. Also, I notice on the polyutherane can it says not recommended for "on-grade slab." Finally, after reading more about sealant on various sites it seems I could get a nice shine with just a regular sealant plus wax (the contractor never mentioned wax). I've put in a call to him but haven't heard back so.. in the meantime I thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts. Many thanks!

Comments (2)