Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Matching wood kitchen floor to rest of the apartment

Posted by valerieann2 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 15:54

In our condo (100+ year-old building) we have hardwood floors throughout - fir with polyurethane - that we refinished 14 years ago, although they could stand another refinishing. We just got rid of our old disgusting kitchen floor (vinyl sheeting, 3 layers, with the original wood floor underneath, but unfortunately it wasn't refinishable - too much water damage).

So we had the old wood floor in the kitchen removed and they put in fir strip flooring, same as rest of the apartment. The goal is to stain (and then poly) the bare fir floor in the kitchen so as to match as much as possible the floor in the rest of the place - it's a small condo, so the entryway floor and the living room floor are adjacent to the kitchen.

Our floor guy, who I trust completely, is using a Carlisle finish, then following with a couple coats of poly - we'll see a sample in a few days. He says we'll never match completely the rest of the place because that wood is very old and has darkened naturally - there's no stain on it, just poly. But in 6 months to a year, he says the kitchen floor will darken to a point where it will closely resemble the rest of the floor in the apartment.

So I guess my question is, is "closely resemble" good enough so that it won't look weird? I was initially thinking of doing an entirely different kind of wood floor in the kitchen, but the majority opinion seems to be that it's best to continue with the rest of the wood in the house, both for aesthetics and for eventual resale.

Has anyone gone through this and have any experiences or opinions to share? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Matching wood kitchen floor to rest of the apartment

The biggest difference you will notice is 100 yr old fir and new fir.
The color can come close but the age difference will have an effect on the look.

Ideally to get both the exsisting and new floor to match would be to refinish everything together. Then stain a a semi dark at the very minimum to get an even color.

o

If the size and species is the same and the color is reasonably close, very few people will notice a difference.

Almost no one notices the different species in my bathroom: it's 1890s pine and 2012 oak. They notice the size difference first.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mismatched age and species wood floor

o

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here