Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
positively_patty

Where and how to put wood flooring help please

positively_patty
9 years ago

This is basically our house plan. We would like to put in wood. Right now the flooring is all tile. We live in AZ and the tile does cool things off, it seems better for all the dust we get and we already have to it so keeping as much as we can will save money.

I would like to put in wood in the areas I have shaded brown. We won't be floating it. The questions come with that hallway. All the areas I have a question about are still in white.

To the left of the living room is a short step/ledge. That ledge is easy to have a transition from wood to tile. Not really worried about keeping tile there.

The first question I have is what do you think about keeping the tile in the white space? I talked to our realtor who we just bought the house from. She said she thought as long as the wood is similar in color and shade to the tile then we should be ok. I still worry.

The other questions I have to deal with are if the tile is not going to work then just how to we lay the wood? Do we go all horizontal? All vertical? Or do we need to turn it in some way in each of the green triangle areas? And if we turn it then do we miter it and make a diagonal line or what?

One other question. should the wood on one side of the ledge be a different direction than on the other side?

Comments (4)

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

With your plan to not have wood flooring in the hallways, there is no issue of wood meeting wood at any of the thresholds. I would take advantage of that and orient the flooring the way it would look best in each room, rather than be concerned about having it all oriented the same way from a birdseye view.

I'm not sure where you are talking about turning it or mitering it. I don't see any places where that would be necessary and I don't see any green triangles.

And one question: what is going on with the bathroom in the upper left corner that appears to be half wood and half something else?

• positively_patty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The corner bathroom - that is a walk-in closet, not part of the bathroom.

So you feel it would be OK to leave the tile in the hallway? It won't seem like things are broken up too much?

With turning and mitering I am talking about where the hall turns only if I need to lay wood in the hallway. If I lay it vertical at the front door then would you continue to lay it vertical throughout the house or would you turn it when the hallway turns? My thought is we would lay everything one direction. Dh thought we should lay it so the wood runs parallel with the hall walls (necessitating a change at the corners), but I am really not understanding why you would need to do that.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

The tile is your choice. It's not wrong or right, although I, myself, would do the hallways in wood; and I wouldn't go to the trouble of trying to miter and change direction. I would, however, change the direction of the flooring in some of the rooms. I suggest that you visit some showrooms or take a look at how wood flooring is laid out in other homes to get an idea of what looks good to you. You could also look through the many photos on the Houzz.com web site.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

wood gets scratched and dented so i would keep the tile in the high traffic areas.
    we put a prefinished red oak in my dining room because it was carpet and the wood looks like hell after 10 years. we don't wear shoes in the house but we have dogs and even with the felt things in the chair bottoms, there are lots of scratches from the chairs.