Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherwhy_gw

Whitewashed or light engineered wood flooring for coastal home?

sherwhy
11 years ago

Has anyone used prefinished white washed (look) wood flooring? I'm considering UA's Olde Charleston 7-1/2" Hickory Beachfront White. Has anyone heard of this or used this?

Comments (11)

• UniqueWoodFloor
    11 years ago

How do you like this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Teka Antique Ivory

• sherwhy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for posting your photos UniqueWoodFloor. Your floors are beautiful. I am now considering an Ark Floors wood flooring. It's called Brushed Linen oak. It has some white paint within the grain but not entirely whitewashed. Is yours whitewashed? and does it have a poly coating?

• steph2000
    11 years ago

Wow, UniqueWoodFloor. That is one lovely floor. I'm surprised to see an engineered wood in the bathroom, though. I am being STRONGLY discouraged from considering it in my kitchen/entries. Any feedback for me?

• steph2000
    11 years ago

Thanks, sherwhy. I've been thinking I'd do a medium brown floor, but these are really lovely - and not yellow or red in tone, which I want to avoid.

Living in Alaska, I worry not only about a leak, but just the traffic in and out of the house by us and the animals. We will have tile at the front entry, but not the back slider/animal door. I keep hearing that it is a major concern if any water at all permeates through the cracks, which seems likely...

They are trying to sell me on vinyl lookalike, but so far, I'm just not feeling it.

• sherwhy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm in Northwest Florida so humidity is a big concern that is why I'm going with engineered flooring. Have you looked at tile as an alternative? Being in Alaska I can understand the concern for wet feet. I have recently seen some really nice wood look tile options. For example Ergon puts out a product called Wood Talk. I've included a link but it looks much better in person though. I've also seen some really cool vinyl flooring that looks amazing. What I like about vinyl is there are no grout lines to clean. I saw this in a local store but it's by a company called Home Legend and it's a luxury vinyl plank. I can't seem to find it online though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood Talk

• steph2000
    11 years ago

Thanks, Sherwhy. Yes, the tile with wood grain is very interesting and I like it a lot - but it just seems like more of a warm climate option to have tile throughout the public space, you know? It's cold up here much of the year... It would work with my little 50's ranch, in terms of leaning a tad modern, though. I have considered it for the bathroom or front entry.

I do keep checking out vinyl options, and appreciate the pointer about Home Legend. Strange there is nothing about it on-line, though, huh? So far, it just feels fakey to me...

We are on a cement slab and it just seems like there is really NO good flooring option at any price point. And, of course, I'd like to keep the budget reasonable.

• UniqueWoodFloor
    11 years ago

Hi sherwhy,
    Sorry it took me some time to come back to the thread.
    Yes this Antique Ivory is white washed finished with oil. In this collection, there are 2 other floorings with white wash on a dark floor base, called Antique Ebany and Costa. I am sure that is kind you described.
    Hi Steph2000,
    We do not recommend any wood flooring installed in any full bath as a business, engineered or solid. But that particular picture is from a DIY Network show "Bath Crashers" which used us as their flooring supplier. In that case, as long as the show designer specs the product, we supply. We have another engineered wood flooring being used in another show called "BATHtastic" Both floors were done in Minneapolis Stpaul area for couple years now. So far so good. In my opinion, kicthen and entry will be perfectly fine to put in wood floorings. Area rugs will help.
    Good comments from both you. Hope to hear from you again.

• Linda Peterson
    10 years ago

Hi, did you ever choose a whitewashed floor? I am now looking and would
    Love to see pictures and info on you choice. Do you find it easy to care for?
    Thanks
    Lindy

• UniqueWoodFloor
    10 years ago

Yes it is not only easy to care, it hides the dirt and dust the best. See attached picture next to the door to our warehouse. It is called Landscape Alsace. Never show the dust from walking from warehouse.

• sherwhy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Lindy,
    Unfortunately we had to put our project on hold. I never made a choice. So many new options have come on the market. Flooring has been the hardest decision for me. We built a home 3 years ago and selected a dark graphite hickory which is beautiful but the dust and dog hair drive me crazy. I've had to learn function trumps fashion! I still love to look at all the beautifully designed rooms/homes on tv and in magazines but know that is not how real people live. ha!