Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hollow underneath tile -- fix?

Posted by attofarad (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 15:20

It seems that there is a bit of concrete slab cracking under my wife's tile floors over the last few years (house about 22 years old). The grout is cracked in a few places, and the adjacent tile on one or both sides of the tile sounds hollow, no longer attached. This might be for ~1/4 to 1/3 of the tile width, the part closest to the grout cracks.

If the grout is removed/replaced to fix the grout, is there a good product that can be injected under the hollow edge of the tile before re-grouting? Another technique?

The tile, of course, can no longer be found, so replacing a few tiles is not an option.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hollow underneath tile -- fix?

I usually find that if the grout around a tile is cracked, the tile is probably loose. If the tile is loose, it can be pulled up and reset then regrouted.

I sometimes lay wood floor over existing tile so cracked grout is a warning sign indicating loose tile.

o

Thanks for the reply. In this case, the tiles do not seem to be that loose. Obviously there is a space under the hollow sounding part of the tile, but that is generally little or none, up to ~15-20% on several tiles, and nearly 50% of one. It is as though the tile is mostly well adhered, and detached along one side, the same side as the grout crack. If any spares were available, I'd be trying to remove a couple of tiles, but I cannot risk breaking a tile and having to replace 600 square feet.

Some similar issues were fixed a while back (grout was removed and replaced), but no hollow sound was noticed at the time.

o

Hmm. It's probably either small voids under the tiles which are inconsequential or maybe the adhesive has popped loose from a poorly prepared portion of the subfloor. I think they make kits to shoot epoxy under tiles voids but that sounds a bit risky. Maybe if the cracked grout was removed a thin consistency two part epoxy could be poured in at the edge of the tile then grouted over after it cures.

o

Just saw this-the voids can be filled with latex.
super latex from latticrete works well.
However it may be a good idea to hire a pro to pump in the latex. also there is an epoxy made by bon stone in an injectable syringe that will work very well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here