Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
essjay43

Looking to buy a house- all floors are plywood- what to do?

essjay43
9 years ago

I'm considering buying a home that was listed as having hardwood throughout. After looking at it closely, I realized that it was all plywood sheets with lines routed into them. It's basically all hardwood except for the bathrooms. It appears some were painted and others were stained. I really like the house and the neighborhood and the price is right.

My question is whether or not I could refinish the floors to buy me some time while I save up for hardwood. So far, I haven't seen many options that are appealing. Painting all the floors would look pretty bad and refinishing may not work out.

Any suggestions?

Comments (3)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Most hardwood plywood in addition to obviously being all very thin veneers have interior glue. Both of which in my opinion make it a very strange choice for flooring, especially if they routed lines in it. So all in all I believe you will have zero scucess attempting to refinish the plywood,

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Get a 20K discount for new flooring. They've fraudulently represented the home's amenities. Wonder what else they've shortcutted or lied about?

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

You haven't made an offer yet, so discount the offer by enough to cover the cost of having REAL hardwood installed. Point out in the offer, politely, that grooved plywood is NOT the same as real flooring, and that you have discounted by enough to make it possible for you to install the hardwood you were led to believe was there.

In the meantime, refinishing will NOT work. Painting it with "porch enamel" is a good choice - it's inexpensive and durable and can look pretty good if stenciled.