Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamasalvo

Carpet help needed

mamasalvo
11 years ago

Time to replace a bedroom carpet. College grad moved out.

Went to the local carpet store and told them my budget was $1000 for 290 sq ft ( 12 x 22) including 8 lb pad and removal. They steered me to Bliss healthy touch earthy or Enigma polyester at $3.61for everything. Then I came home and pulled up home site which says nylon nylon nylon.

This will now be guest room for 2 yrs until we sell so I really don't want to spend a lot. I have Shaws queen designer nylon in my living areas that I paid a lot for and after 4 years its ok but not fabulous so wondering what I could get for $1000.00 any guidance appreciated.

Comments (7)

• newlywed2011
    11 years ago

I just had my Mohawk Smartstrand carpet installed yesterday in my bedroom. I absolutely LOVE it! Have you checked it out? Lowes can beat anyone's price on it as I've read that they have some deal with Mohawk. I was worried about the installation and stayed on top of the installers and they did a perfect job. Of course, I just got it yesterday....

• RicardoRoman
    11 years ago

Berber carpet will be the most durable and economical. If you would like a pile go with a polyester fiber. If your space is small you can find some remnants at a carpet store.Mohawk is also a good option.

Here is a link that might be useful: Various types of carpets

• lucky51
    11 years ago
  • Floortech
    11 years ago

I am beginning to change my view regarding smartstrand. It is beginning to endure some negativity regarding it. Vacuum issues which Mohawk is recognizing is a major issue. Plus some cleaning issues are becoming apparent. It does not have the long term history of nylon and caught fire because of its extreme softness. With the newer generations of soft nylons, I now have swayed my vote to a quality nylon. Tuftex have just introduced a new collection of StainMaster nylons in the trusoft fiber that is the most beautiful carpets I have ever seen. As Mohawk enhances its smartstrand by making it softer, it appears to be getting too soft and the carpet want to grab the vacuum and not allow it to move through the carpet without a max effort. The extreme soft nylons are not experiencing this so i now must recommend nylons moving forward. Good Luck.

• Floortech
    11 years ago

You should be able to find a nice BCF nylon under your budget. Shaw makes many as Shaw is the current leader in Nylon products. Mohawk is know for its triexta and Polyesters and Beaulieu is still trying to get back market share. Many feel that Bliss is overpriced for what it is. Many polyesters in the line. Best valued Polys in today's world is from a company called Dream Weaver. They are capturing the polyester market share at a rapid rate. 4 year old niche company that is here to stay. You want nylon though I would guess and can stay under your budget easily. Shaw has many nylons that can get under that number and feel great and work well for you for a long time. HGTV by shaw has a product called simple texture that can be at your budget and it has a twenty year across the board from the manufacturer warranty. Not an inflated box store warranty that doesn't mean a whole lot. Just some food for thought.

• Betsey Thompson
    11 years ago

HHow important is the pad in the overall wear and feeling underfoot? I was recently at a store and they said they don't typically use the best pad, but rather a middle of the road pad. I don't remember the weight they used. Any opinions out there?

• Betsey Thompson
    11 years ago

HHow important is the pad in the overall wear and feeling underfoot? I was recently at a store and they said they don't typically use the best pad, but rather a middle of the road pad. I don't remember the weight they used. Any opinions out there?

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner