Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konzelmann_gw

Laminate to look like 1.5" strip oak?

konzelmann
9 years ago

My home has original hundred year old 1.5" strip oak flooring throughout the house, except on the 3rd floor attic that has been semi-finished. The attic was never originally part of the house's living space, and therefore has never had much of a floor. Previous owners put in a really horrible carpet that felt almost like an outdoor carpet.

I've been thinking about trying to improve on that and re-do the floor in something at least somewhat better, but the 3rd floor will never be up to the 'standards' of the rest of the house, so I'm not really interested in having real hard wood put in. Also, the 3rd floor is likely to be used for hobby type stuff, which would potentially result in high wear on a solid wood floor. I'd like the durability of laminate. However, one of my 'pet peeves' about remodeling and reno work in old houses is that each room or area seems to end up with a completely different flooring style, it drives me nuts when there's no continuity in the house.

Bringing me to my question.. Is there any laminate floor out there that would mimic the really thin strip 1.5" oak floor that I have in the rest of the house? Most laminate, even if it has a thinner strip look to it, mimics strips that are more like 2.5". I have not found anything that mimics 1.5" or anything less than 2.5". Any recommendations for a brand or style that mimics 1.5" strip oak?

Thanks

Comments (2)