Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamela233

Refinishing 110 yr old Maple farmhouse floor - Has Begun!

pamela233
9 years ago

HI All

I am going to post 5 pics of what has begun here. I am sorry that I only know how to do 1 photo at a time.
We have lived in this 110 year old farmhouse north of Toronto ON Canada for 26 years. When we moved in we covered the kitchen maple flooring with plywood and vinyl tile because we had young children, a cat & dog.
We decided to renovate the kitchen and reclaim the maple floor. We have an entrance from the driveway into that room so I want porcelain tile there to protect the floor. The contractor removed 30 sq ft of flooring from that spot to patch a former dumbwaiter and staircase area at the other end of the kitchen.
They started the sanding yesterday and applied the first of three oil-based finishes. I am Thrilled with the results. Already the floor matches the hallway and living room which were refinished 25 years ago. They will be here shortly to buff and apply the 2nd coat.

Comments (11)

• pamela233
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo #2 - the sanding has begun

The dumbwaiter which was used to lift fruits/vegetables from the cellar is in the darker area of the floor, It is about 2 ft x 3 ft in size.

The contractor patched it with flooring from the door entrance using "picture frame" technique and it looks as though it was always framed that way.

• pamela233
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Image of Dan the Sanding Man!

• pamela233
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Floor is sanded but not yet vacuumed or coated.

You can see the outline of the dumbwaiter just above the power cord in front of the cabinet.

• pamela233
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First coat is on.

This view faces North

• pamela233
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As it is this morning. Facing South

The "rough" looking spots in front of the fireplace are not damaged. That spot absorbed the finish more quickly than the rest of the floor

• pamela233
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am correcting my last post.

That "dull" area in front of the fireplace is more worn than the rest of the floor. Now that the floor has cured for 24 hours... it looks more rough.
    I am keen to see how it will be after the next 2 coats. I am quite OK with different characteristics showing themselves throughout the kitchen.
    It has had a lot of use in 110 years.

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

Dont worry about that rough spot. Maple is notorious to have uneveness after the first coat. After the second coat you will see less. Then by the final coat you wont see any.

Looks good!

• pamela233
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Gregmills! You certainly put my mind at ease last night.

Sure enough...this morning the floor is glorious! This photo is from this morning and after the 2nd coat. It is completely dry now.
    Tonight...around 5 pm...they will be here for the final buffing and final coat. I know that people dread the length of time with oil based poly but for us...it is more than worth the time/smell/etc.

I will post a few pics from different views to show that Gregmills was of course correct and the "rough" spots are now gone.

• pamela233
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This shows the original 110 year old threshold leading to an extension we added 10 years ago. That is maple flooring. of course..not the age of ours. however, the colour is ok for us.

• pamela233
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This photo shows how well the colour matches the hallway which was sanded/refinished 25 years ago!

• pamela233
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Full photo of the room. Gregmills was absolutely right. The "rough" spots are gone and I am delighted!!