Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paw423

Novalis dryback wood look planks

paw423
14 years ago

Interested in the 6 inch Novalis dry back planks, in Cottage Earth color. Has anyone had any experience laying these or know of any finsihed project pics online? Thanks.

Comments (9)

• maryannkacz
    14 years ago

Haven't layed these, but am interested in these also. The ones I am interested in are special order from Lowes in the Providence line from Novalis. I did read installation instructions on Novalis site. The spray adhesive sounds much easier than the troweled type. The price is good, about $2.00 square foot, but professional installation would at least double that price.

• paw423
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the input. It is the Providence line we are also interested in. I didn't see the spray adhesive but a concern of a spray adhesive would be overspray. We are leaning towards the troweled type. Would love to find someone who has used this product.

• maryannkacz
    14 years ago

It's between the Providence or the self stick for me. I have seen pictures of the self stick on this site and they look great and got good reviews on here. What I don't understand on the Novalis site is the cheaper self stick have a lifetime warranty and the Providence line is 20 years. You would think it would be the other way around. I did 4 of the self stick planks and put them down in my laundry room over painted concrete floor to see how they wear. They do look good. I got the Golden Oak. It looks orangy in the store, but in my house, it looks like real wood, must be the store lighting.

• cat_ky
    14 years ago

If you decide to use the peel and stick, dont forget to buy the Henry's floor primer. It is very important over concrete. I would use it everywhere, but, that said, you can get by not using it if you are putting it over vinyl. No orangy appearance to my golden oak. Have had many think it is real hardwood.

• paw423
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just send an email to Novalis to ask the difference between the 2 warranties. Thanks for pointing that out! Also requested a pic of the Providence, since I can't seem to find one online. I brought the samples home but still so hard to tell from such a small piece. Wish the Providence wasn't special order only. I like the more rustic, white-wash look of the Providence.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

i brought home a sample plank this past wkend - sticky kind.
    was thinking about using it in my craft/exercise room and maybe my tv room (will have an area rug also).

what base do you need to put it on? i think my floor is just plywood or something. it's a mfg home, so no concrete!
    I didn't think to ask what I needed for the base to put it on.
    It has carpet down now. I want to take that up.

• christi-b
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I must admit to feeling very guilty - I looked & looked for a floor, and this website really inspired me to try the Novalis. I DO have the 6" plank, in Toffee Roughcut, I put them down myself, with Henry's adhesive (422, Universal Vinyl Flooring Adhesive), and I love them!! I know I should have gotten on here a long time ago to share, but I never got around to taking really good photos. Here are the two I have (1 with my daughter showing off her Dora play shoes). These photos don't do it justice, I think. Maybe I'll take better ones sometime & get them up here.
    It really wasn't all that hard to do. I put the floor down in November 2008, so it's been over a year. I put it on the plywood (sub?)floor. There had been carpeting that had to go. This is in the room where our dogs come in & out. I just have a rug right in front of the door, but it still gets a lot of wear, and it looks great. I've had no adhesive problems at all. I did try to fill any nail/staple holes, but I don't think I would have had to. What DOES show (but not too bad) is where there were 2 pieces of plywood that met, and I used patch to smooth the seam. There is a hump/ridge that does show. However, I don't know that anyone but me really notices, because I know it's there.

Bottom line: I did it myself (42 yr old woman). We have 3 kids & 2 dogs, this floor is just great! Easy to clean - doesn't show dirt at all. You do need to like this kind of work, but I thought it was very satisfying to do & see the results.

I also have the 4" adhesive-type that I'm going to put in the bathroom, but I haven't started it yet.

If it weren't for this site, I never would have known about/tried the Novalis at all, so I should have let everyone know how much I like it sooner, but here you go! Hope this helps someone.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Christi-b, I just love your floors! They look so real. You did a great job installing them so that seams do not line up. The color is perfect on my monitor. I like reddish colors. Is the floor reddish like my monitor shows?

• christi-b
    14 years ago

Hi Lynn2006 - thank-you very much! It really was fun. (I'm too lazy to look - but don't I remember you from another Novalis thread - don't you have them too?) Regarding the color, I think that my monitor also makes them a bit more reddish than they are. They really do lean toward the orangish I think. But, I don't have a very good eye toward color, so if you saw it in person, you may in fact see red tones that I don't. Have a great day!