Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sapphire6917

2-part Epoxy on old hardwood floors?

sapphire6917
10 years ago

Hello,

I am one of the few people that really loves a high gloss floor. I am going to be refinishing the hardwoods in my 100+ year old home and would like them to have that glass-like shine. Clearly, I have no kids and no pets! I've seen a few applications of the 2-part epoxy on wooden tables but not floors.

Can the 2-part epoxy be used on wood floors? If that's not the best choice, is there a better product that will give me the high gloss that I'm looking for?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Any polyurethane or water bourne urethanes come in a high gloss sheen.

• sapphire6917
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Gregmills!

Thanks for the response! I have seen pictures of floors done with both an oil and a water based popolyurethane and they didn't look as shiny as the liquid glass. Is there one you could recommend?

• Debbie Downer
    10 years ago

I had a floor done with some sort of gloss epoxy finish years ago - some product specifically made for floors - and it was pretty indestructible and stayed shiny like a gym floor for the 7 years I was there - but my understanding is that it's toxic stuff and for that reason floor refinishers don't like to do it anymore.

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

I think in my career ive maybe done 3 floors thats wanted a finished gloss look. Its not too popular but ive never had someone complain it wasnt shiney enough.

They do make a urethane product specifically for gym floors which might be more shineier but i dont do basketball courts.

Pictures dont tend to do justice either. Its one of those things you should either have a sample sent to you or have the sample directly applied to your floor.

• jfcwood
    10 years ago

Considering how much wood floors move, I feel that trying to pour on epoxy would be a bad idea.
    When the floor inevitably moves, the epoxy will not expand and contract so most likely it will split or lose adhesion as the floor moves.
    How would you apply it? There may be logistical issues with mixing the epoxy in a timely manner and getting it applied evenly to an entire floor. With a bar or table, the area it's being applied to is limited plus you can't walk around the floor and fix problem areas before they cure.
    You obviously already know that smooth shiny floors readily show scratches. How would you resurface the epoxy once it gets marred?
    You're probably better off using high gloss oil-modified polyurethane and applying 5 or more coats, sanding lightly between coats. Once the grain starts to get filled in the floor will be smooth and will end up very shiny.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Go to a flooring store and buy a sacrifical box of "piano finished" flooring. Try several pieces in a high traffic area. Walk on it barefoot (sweaty foot prints). Let it gather dust for a few days (magnified by the gloss). Try to wipe up a glop with a damp towel (smears). See if reality matches up with the amount of work you think it is in your head.

It's better to do a $100 experiment now and find out that you really don't mind being owned by the floor than to regret it after the job in the whole house is done. You either have to be 100% a neat freak with a dust mop in your hands constantly and only slippers indoors, or you have to be someone a bit on the opposite end who isn't bothered by dust, dirt, and footprints.

Gloss poly is plenty glossy enough for even the most masochistic gloss floor lover.

• jfcwood
    10 years ago

Hi,

We generally use Dura Seal oil-modified polyurethane. I have used Minwax poly in a pinch and had no problem with it and it's more readily available. Minwax owns Dura Seal so they may be very similar.
    I did a quick search for Minwax gloss polyurethane and the only thing I could find was gloss water based and oil based semi gloss so you might need to search for the Dura Seal brand in your area.
    There are plenty of other good brands. Just make sure to use the same product for every coat to eliminate any compatibility issues.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

What about "Flecto Varathane Liquid Plastic finish", if I remember correctly their gloss is a very high gloss finish and can be used on floors I believe (however not sure what the pro's think of this product).

• jfcwood
    10 years ago

Not familiar with it. I don't know if it's true but many years ago a client told me he was in the finish business and that many brands of finishes were all made by the same factories. Of course that doesn't stop certain brands from specifying proprietary blends or premium ingredients. Over the years I've seen some satin finishes show more propensity to streak. That shouldn't be a problem with high gloss. Any oil modified product made or sold by a floor finish manufacturer like Dura Seal, Bona, Synteko Last n Last, Zar, Lenmar etc. are likely to be decent.

• sapphire6917
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, JFCWood! I'm searching for that Dura Seal now!

• sapphire6917
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looking up Dura Seal, I found a product they sell called Gymthane that looks like exactly what I want! Working on getting a sample to try on some salvaged wood flooring.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

• kristakass
    8 years ago

How did your floor turn out, sapphire6917? I'm anxious to seal up our 90 year old soft wood kitchen floor and would likewise like a high gloss shine.

• James Woods
    6 years ago

I know this post was years ago but I'm refinishing my mothers 1910 home wood floors if u see this plz email me just have a couple questions dajamez@gmail.com