Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!! stair risers covered by old linoleum sheet and messay glue

Posted by ahy (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 20, 10 at 11:35

Hi, I have an urget request and thank you for looking this. (first time here so I also post this same question in "remodeling" section).
The wood floor refinishing company took the carpets from the stairs in my house and found the hardwood stairs are coverd by the linoleum sheets. They will refinish the treads only but leave the risers coverd with linoleum sheet and messy paints and glues. The glues under the linoleum sheet is messy so they will charge a lot for finishing them. But they suggest that maybe I can just put anotehr linoleum sheet on top of them to cover.
I wonder it is a good way to do it or any better way? Thank you very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!! stair risers covered by old linoleum sheet and messay

Find someone who will do the complete job for you, including the risers. Unfortunately, removing sheet vinyl from stairs and risers is a labor-intensive operation and you will have to pay the going rate.

Be aware that some sheet vinyl has a mineral fiber asbestos felt backing, so you need to avoid dry sanding the stuff. Ideally, if this is an ACM (asbestos containing material) then it needs to be removed while using the accepted methods or you will need to employ an asbestos removal company to do that part of the job. A simple test can determine if this is an ACM. The date when the sheet vinyl was purchased can also help to tell you what kind of backing is on the flooring.

o

• Posted by ahy (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 20, 10 at 23:10

Thank you very much for the answer. I don't know when the vinyl was purchased but the house was built late 1978. Do you know where can I find any information for this? I really appreciate your input.

o

Google "asbestos in the home" and look for information regarding sheet vinyl flooring. The US EPA site is a good place to find info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here