Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zepher95_gw

Bona Traffic HD Sheen Issue

zepher95
10 years ago

I just completed a complete sand down, stain, and refinish of my oak wood floor using Bona Traffic HD in the satin sheen and it looks (mostly) great. I put on 3 coats and mixed full gallons of the Bona for the first two coats as I was also top coating some new Calibamboo floor (due to a dog in that area). The third coat though, my son mixed up a half gallon of the Bona Traffic, using half the Bona Traffic and half the hardener and I thought it had a glossier sheen than the earlier coats. After it had dried for 24 hours, I noticed a couple of spots that I had missed, and they were way less shiny so they stood out a bit. After 48 hours I decided I would mix up a small portion of the bona traffic hd and touch up the missed spots and it came out looking similar to the first two coats - ie, still less shine so it didn't blend in. Here's a few details;

I noticed my son had not used as much of the hardener additive as he should have - ie, less than half the bottle, but did use half the gallon jug of the main finish. Question - is the sheen determined from the additive so it was more shiny when using less of the hardener?

When I did the touch up, since it had been over 48 hours, I did abraid the surface lightly with a maroon pad, by hand,
and cleaned it with a slightly damp, with water only, microfiber cloth. I did not use Bona Prep on these small areas. I believe I mixed proper amounts of the Bona and the hardner, and shook it for 60-90 seconds. I used a washed out plastic milk carton to mix it in. Although I dried the inside the best I could, there was a few drips of water left and this was also a thought I had - did the very small amount of water dull the finish? I did use the same product bottles that I had a half gallon left of so it wasn't a potential different batch of Bona
that was manufactured differently.

I will be laying more of the Calibamboo in a week or two and top coating it also as I like the way it looks and the added level of dog "accident" protection. I was going to wait until then to fix my little missed spots, but its easier to do it now before moving everything back into the room and it getting walked on. I also suspect the full gallon mix will have less sheen than what I now have on my floor, and it won't make an appropriate patch look.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to get the same sheen when mixing up the Bona Traffic HD to touch up these spots? Is it
possible to mix some up, using less hardener, and checking the sheen, then adding more hardener to the mix and checking it again? It dries quickly, in a few minutes here in dry Colorado, so an addition of hardener would get into the
mix within 10 minutes or so of the initial mix and 10 minute wait to begin applying.

Although I like the look, I was thinking the satin would be more like the first two coats in terms of sheen which is why I wonder if the sheen comes from the hardener add-in.
Its really not an option to recoat the full floor - already sent the wife away for a week and won't be able to keep her off the floor for another full week...

Thanks for any input!

Ron

Comment (1)