Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carpeting in basement or other options for warmth?

Posted by nigel-bigel (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 26, 11 at 11:31

Several years ago we bought a house with a finished basement and pulled up the carpeting in the basement because it smelled like cats. We are finally getting around to putting in a new floor but can't find the right option.

The basement has never flooded (that I am aware of) but it is humid down there in the summer. We do use a dehumidifier. I am not concerned about flooding and damaging the carpeting, but I am concerned about air quality. No one in our house has allergy or resperatory problems, but of course I want a healthy environment.

I want to put down carpeting because it is warm underfoot, and I envision my DDs having sleepovers on the floor. My questions...

Is it the carpeting that harbors mold, or the pad?
Would getting an antibacterial pad be a good idea?
Are certain carpet fibers (nylon, olefin, etc.) better for basements than others?
Would installing a subfloor help with moisture concerns?

I've read a lot about carpet tiles for basements, but it seems they are touted as a good solution in case of flooding. I am not concerned about flooding - do carpet tiles give me an advantage still?

I am not thrilled with the idea of hard flooring but I would consider it if I must. I am not convinced that it would be warm, however. Your thoughts?

I would love any advice about cozy floors! Thanks in advance...

Nicole

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carpeting in basement or other options for warmth?

I am considering cork flooring for a small room that is unheated and will be used as an office. I am looking for warmth and comfort. It is also good for people who have allergies. I may even consider it for our basement when it comes time to replace the carpet there.

o
RE: Carpeting in basement or other options for warmth?

I was thinking of cork as a possibility for you -- although you may have to use glue down tiles which are more limited in choices than the floating types.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here