Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it ok to install Engineered and solid on different floors ?

Posted by tambrams25 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 9:22

Hi all , newbie here . I'am buying a 7 year old home , my first , and planning to replace carpet in 1st and 2nd floor with hardwood. I got a quote from couple of flooring companies and got a good quote for handscrapped birch hardwood for $4.93 , 1/2" Engineered Hickory for $5.93 and 3/4" Handscraped Solid hardWood for $6.79 ( all price includes labour charges ) . I'am not too sure which one to choose . Any suggestions ? And Is it ok to install engineered hardwood on my 1st floor and solid on 2nd floor ? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it ok to install Engineered and solid on different floors

If your first floor is concrete, then I would go with the engineered. Nothing is stopping you from going to a solid in the upper floor over the wood substrate, unless for some odd reason, your second floor is pan poured concrete.

Solid wood and concrete don't mix very well.
Concrete has the ability to be below dew point at certain times of the year, or even certain times in a given day as a storm approaches.
Dew point is the forgotten element in solid wood over concrete. If the concrete is below dew point, so will the moisture barrier!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here