Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wondering about stability of hardwood flooring over garage

Posted by kiki_thinking (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 10, 11 at 8:55

I have read that for flooring to be stable, that temperature and humidity must be controlled. Our family room is over our garage. Last year, all of the garage ceiling drywall and insullation was removed in order to do structural work. So now there is a plywood floor over the garage. Some work still remains to be done before the garage ceiling can be re insulated and redrywalled. Can i go ahead and install my hardwood flooring in the family room? I would like to use 4" wide boards, am open to engineered or solid hardwood.

We currently have just plywood underlayment in the family room. If i can't lay hardwood at yhis point, then i need to go ahead and carpet to get the room functional.

Thanks for any help and advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wondering about stability of hardwood flooring over garage

Hey, well you�re correct your wood floor needs to come to EMC which is equilibrium moisture content with temp approx. 50-70 degrees and relative humidity to be within 30-50 percent. Basically your flooring needs to have 6-9% moisture content in it, so that it does not expand or contrast. More detail you can read in maintaningwoodfloors.com/.
You home needs to be always under normal living conditions year round, even if you go on vacation for two weeks. As long as you have your space controlled you should hopefully not have any issues. If you have any more questions please let me know - Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Flooring

o
RE: Wondering about stability of hardwood flooring over garage

That is what i am trying o figure out alough i didnt know the terms. If my family room floor wjich is plywood, is over my uninsulated garage ceiling, will there bee too much temperature and humidity fluctuation for hardwood flooring?

What data ranges am i looking for?

Thanks again for the help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here