Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlabe

Six months with my cork floors

marlabe
13 years ago

I've had cork floors in my kitchen for about six months now, and I LOVE them!They look fantastic, feel great on my feet and are very easy to care for. I vacuum them (with my Roomba...no problem) and just damp mop them. That's it!I did have my flooring guy put about two coats of Traffic on them while he was refinishing my hardwood floors, so hopefully that will add to their longevity. Prior to this, I had porcelain tiles and these were put over them (another huge advantage.)

I definitely would recommend them. I get loads of compliments on them, they are functional and easy to care for. What else could you ask for?

Comments (14)

• uniquewoodfloors
    13 years ago

I can't agree with marlabe more. We have cork floating type tiles in our offices at work. We wear shoes and boots on it everyday for 3 years. It is still in great shape.

• marlabe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jaedwards, i would be happy to post pictures but I don't know how!
    My floors are floating. They do not feel loose at all.
    I got many samples from many places before I ordered. I attempted to gouge them with my fingertip, and tried to order what I thought would be durable. I have no more advice than that. Sorry...it seemed worth a try for us, especially because we avoided the mess and expense of pulling up tiles.

• echoflooring
    13 years ago

I believe cork is the real deal.

We have a large area of it installed in our showroom for 2 years no and look beautiful still. We do not sell them often and advertise the hell out of them so they have just not caught on the way you would hope as a retailer. But i like them and will always have them on display at all of our stores as I know they wont disappoint to reasonable individuals.

• User
    13 years ago

Anyone have suggestions for durable brands of cork, either tile or floating? And those of you who used cork did you use polyurethane as well?

• User
    13 years ago

Anyone have bought from AMcork?

• User
    13 years ago

Yikes, I really need to reread even my shortest of posts before submitting!

• plumgal
    13 years ago

When you had the cork installed over the tile did it raise the level of your floor noticeably? Did you have any issues with opening/closing doors??

• MongoCT
    13 years ago

AMCork? Yes. I've ordered from them several times over the past few years. Most recent wall tile was several hundred feet of "pumpkin" and "cherry", the most recent floor was over a thousand feet of "sea" cork.

Good quality product, nice company to work with, definitely order samples to get an idea of what the product really looks like versus on a monitor. I was nervous about the somewhat quirky wall tile colors, but they look quite nice once installed.

• User
    13 years ago

Thanks Mongo, I just ordered the samples.

• User
    13 years ago

Has anyone had issues with fading?

I was in a gorgeous mountain home recently with a western floor to ceiling window wall. The cork was beautiful, but the homeowner hated how it had faded in the sunny areas. She showed me the cork in her no sun hallway, and it was several shades darker. When I looked closer, the dining room had a rug "shadow" under the dining table where she had had a rug and was trying to now even out the tones. Hers was glue down tiles with a site finish, and I wondered if perhaps if the finish the installer chose had something to do with the fading. I know she paid a fortune for those triple glazed argon filled windows, so I'm sure that they aren't the culprit in allowing too much UV to penetrate.

• OttawaGardener
    13 years ago

I put cork in my master bedroom and kitchen, and am not totally happy with it.
    1) It is not rolls, but is installed like laminate, and I can see the lines between pieces. It is shinier than I expected, making the edge lines even more noticable. Especially when the light shines on it.
    2) Dogs are VERY hard on cork, and our kitchen, after 2 years, doesn't look that great.

If I had it to do over, I'd special-order the rolled type of cork, to avoid the "lines" issue. I do like the look and comfort of cork.

• marlabe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Plumgal, yes it is higher. I am used to it now and it doesn't bother me a bit. I have even pointed it out to visitors who claim they didn't notice it. I do think it's noticeable, but again, it's a non issue to me.

• jodierd
    13 years ago

My cork flooring is arriving tomorrow to sit and acclimate until Friday when it will be installed.

Question: My contractor is worried about rolling the fridge into place on it. My understanding is that it's tough and can stand that, but he's being cautious. What should I tell him from experienced voices?

Thanks!

Jodie