Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akshars_mom

Pictures of stairs with hardwood

akshars_mom
13 years ago

We currently have staircase with oak banister and railing/spindles (not sure if this is exactly what they call these). We plan to put hardwood on the stairs but we chose a Brazilian cherry.

I am now trying to figure out what do with the banister. Do we try to stain it the cherry color or something totally darker? Or just paint the spindles white and leave the rest as is. Choosing a flooring closer to oak coloring would have made life easier but I am tried of oak after 10 years in this house and wanted a change with the flooring.

If you have any suggestions on what you would do or share pictures of how your stairs cases as that might give us some ideas.

Thanks a lot.

Comments (9)

• art_teacher_mom
    13 years ago

YES! Stain the banister to match in a cherry tone. Check out Centsational Girl's blog, she just did this today and has great pictures!
    She actually stripped/sanded her banister so she could use a penetrating stain. If it were me, I wouldn't work that hard and would use a gel stain on top of the banister instead. Lightly sand just to give it "tooth" then apply an oil based gel stain like Old Masters or Rockler. (DO NOT use minwax. It's lousy in my opinion.) Gel stain doesn't soak in, it's more like a glaze on top. But it will look just as good, I promise!

Here is a link that might be useful: Centsational Girl's stairs

• akshars_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much art teacher mom. Those stairs look great.
    I have not tried a lot of handy projects before so a bit nervous to start. The blog is very inspiring so hopefull I will try it out.

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

art_teacher_mom, those stairs are amazing! After my next busy season, I want to install the same engineered wood I used downstairs on my steps and the upstairs hallway and bedrooms of my home. I must save this post to help me when I am ready since my floors are Brazilian Cherry. I love the white mixed with the darker stain.

• debbie_2008
    13 years ago

I used Gel stain on my oak to match my floors (stair rail, and along side of stair carpet. I totally agree stain them. My oak looked ridiculous with the formal LR floor that it ran along side of

• akshars_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Debbie what color gel stain did you use? Did you strip and sand or just applied the gel stain on top of existing oak?

Lynn, we are also doing Brazilian cherry.

I am now trying to decide what stain color to use? Do we use just a cherry stain (looks to red in the can) or do we go totally dark like in the pictures in the link above? Any suggestion?

Thanks

• debbie_2008
    13 years ago

we did a light sanding. Since we were going darker we didn't need to remove all the color. I have dark hickory floors. We tried 2 colors. One was a cherry and it was very red. We ended up with Walnut. The Gel colors are limited. IMO the cherry looks more burgundy. Like we did, you can always try diff colors to determine the right color for your match.

We applied a clean poly after staining. If you want exact colors and maker, I can get them for you

• debbie_2008
    13 years ago

I want to add that if your stairs are Oak, it will take stain darker due to grain. Our definitely did

• akshars_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Debbie. Do you know which brand of gel you used. Also do you have any pictures I could take a look at.

Thanks again for taking the time

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"I want to add that if your stairs are Oak, it will take stain darker due to grain. Our definitely did"

That depends on if you use pigment stain or aniline dye.

Pigment stain tends to collect in the pores of open pore woods.

Aniline dye is far more uniform.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz