Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katie_42

refinished hardwood floor wipes up brown

Katie.42
9 years ago

I wasn't sure how to phrase the subject of this post.

We had our main level floors refinished in August. They sanded, stained and waterbased poly on living room, and laid new wood (oak, I think ), stained and poly in the kitchen. The floors look great but they seem to be always dirty. or maybe the stain is coming up. I don't know. I vacuum at least once a day, we have a dog.

My baby is starting to crawl and her knees of her pants are always filthy after crawling around. I started wet mopping (well rung out rag) in an attempt to have the floors as clean as possible for her. When I wipe with plain water the rag will turn brown or yellowish. It cannot be dirty because I will wipe an area, dry it, come back and wipe again in 5 minutes and it wipes up brown again. Even in zero traffic areas. The rag I wipe with gets stained brown, like I was cleaning outdoor furniture or something. The other floors in the house are not yet refinished, I assume the finish is original to the house (30 years) and when I wipe the rag only picks up actual dirt and debris. If I wipe the same spot a second time the rag is still nice an white. The stain on her pant legs is similar, brown. She is dry (obviously) when she crawls around, so its not just the water.

Am I cleaning wrong? Is this because they are freshly refinished and it will settle down? My baby wants to crawl! Thank you in advance.

This post was edited by Katie.42 on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 1:58

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years