Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
selphydeg

Question for floor installers

selphydeg
9 years ago

Short version: Is it common for floor installers to refuse to rip out pet stained carpet?

Long version:
I purchased a townhouse three years ago. The living room is all tile, but the staircase is covered in dirty carpet. I had carpet cleaner cleaned the stairs and it looked great temporary, but then the same stains came back because whatever that was in the padding stained the carpet again. Fast forward 2 years, my cat started to urinate on the stairs, it coincided with my bathroom remodel, perhaps it was marking its territory because contractors were going in and out of the house? I had professional came to clean again. He used lots of neutralizer and made it look good for a short period of time, but the old stain came back, and the cat continue to pee on the floor since the smell is still here.

As many people suggested, to truly remedy the problem you have to rip off the carpet and padding, clean the floor underneath. I had a floor installer came out to look at the stairs and gave me an estimate. I was shocked at the lack of professionalism. The guy simply left without saying a word, instead he emailed me and said he can not work on urine stained carpet and I should call Service Master to have it cleaned first. That seems like a ridiculous demand to have the carpet cleaned so he can rip it out and put it in the dumpster. Is there some kind of health department law that I am unaware of? I am going to have more contractors come and look at the stairs. On the one hand I am kind of embarrassed by the dirty stairs, but on the other hand, this is why I am having it replaced. I wouldn't need professionals if my stair is in good condition.

Comments (8)

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

The floor installer doesn't want to be a hazmat person.

I think he's spot on!

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

If he didn't want to tear the carpet out that's his choice. theres no rules in that regards. He could have been more professional, but in my experience not every carpet tear out is going to be clean.

I have done my fair share and its not always pretty but people like yourself hire professionals to do that kind of thing.

prepared because the carpet is "hazardous" that you may pay a bit more to have it ripped out..

you can always tear it out yourself too

• selphydeg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The carpet cleaners will say that cleaning is just a superficial solution. Many people have pets, I seriously doubt they all have to call the hazmat team every time they decide to change the carpet. We live in a high income city, so a small job like staircase and hallway is not very attractive. It doesn't matter if he wanted to do the job or not. He can give any excuse and refuse service at his discretion. The problem was that he left without telling me (I was on the second floor and he started the measurement on the first floor) and then send me an insincere email 30 min later.

Good point Greg, I am willing to put on a mask and some gloves and tear it out myself, but I still need installation lined up to be able to do that. This contractor simply left without finishing the measurement and I didn't get a chance to say that I can do the demo if he doesn't want to. I feel he was extremely rude and unprofessional.

This post was edited by lilymila on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 20:38

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

It's going to need more than just carpet and pad removal. A situation that has gone on that long may need the actual treads and risers replaced due to damage. This is a LOT more than a "simple" job. At the very minimum after the removal, the treads and risers will need to be sealed with a shellac based primer to keep the smell (that will still be there) from migrating into the new surfaces.

You need to separate the jobs. Removal and remediation first. Once that's done, then you can call in a carpet installer to estimate doing the carpet install job.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Some people are just rude and unprofessional. His behavior is not an indicator what you can expect from other floor installers. Forget him and call someone else. Perhaps it would help to let them know ahead of time that the carpet is pet-stained.

• glennsfc
    9 years ago

I agree with much of what has been said already. Yes, the estimator could have been more forthright with you in person, but he has every right to refuse work he cannot accept or does not want to do.

If the smell won't bother you, then a 3M dust mask with an exhalation valve (or similar from another manufacturer) is all you need as protection. If the smell would bother you, then a mask with an appropriate chemical cartridge is what you'd want to use.

Best of luck.

• selphydeg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went to another floor installer yesterday and he said he can come and take a look today (It took the previous rude floor guy a week to just to come and take a look). I told him right from the start that the carpet is old with lots of pet urine.

@ live_wire_oak, I didn't state earlier, but its the landing, not the steps that have pet urine. The landing totals no more than 25 square ft. I imagine it can be fixed no different than the small area that had water damage from the shower door. The guy came, did the measurement, and said it shouldn't be a problem, and will come back with an estimate late today or tomorrow. My general contractor who did my bathroom also said that his friend who own a flooring store in town can come and take a look. Looks like I will be getting new stairs soon. Thanks all.

This post was edited by lilymila on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 19:28

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

I would still listen to LWO's advice and treat the subfloor of the landing before installing new carpet. Search for "cat urine" on this board and you'll see people's solutions. Painting and using Nature's Miracle on the subfloor are the most common recommendations.

The last thing you want is to pay to have it all fixed and still have smell from the subfloor wafting up through the new carpet.