Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harry_wild

Is multi-color flooring okay?

harry_wild
13 years ago

I had been adding hardwood and laminate flooring during the past 15 years time period.

I added on to the house a family room that is next to the kitchen. This family room has real maple wood flooring that is engineered.

The next room which is the kitchen and dining room is in the middle; is light maple laminate floor which I am going to be replacing.

The hallway and stairs are another different type of maple laminate flooring.

The next room on the other side of the kitchen is the living room - another laminate brand of maple flooring.

So in summary;

Family room - real medium maple engineer hardwood

Kitchen&dining - Armstrong light maple laminate

Stair & hallway -Wilsonart medium color maple laminate

Living room -Wilsonart reddish color maple laminate

Here is my question: I am thinking of changing my kitchen flooring to that of a walnut color laminate. Is that going to look proper in terms of a design sense? Or should I just go with another maple?

To be very helpful; can you them me why it proper or not?

For example: It okay. Contrast in the colors will make the house standout!

Thanks.

Comments (6)

• harry_wild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I met kitchen and dining room to walnut color.

• harry_wild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No opinion?

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

You can do anything you want in your own house, of course but having some continuity between flooring really does help the "flow" of your house. If you're talking about wood, laminate, etc., I think you should aim to have a max of two in your house (this number is not based on any real reasoning, just my opinion). Of course, different floor materials are a different thing. Personally, I'd aim to try to get some continuity going in your flooring. I'd try to avoid real or engineered woods next to laminates but I think that might make the laminates look, well, like laminates, although sometimes a laminate can look like a pretty good version of wood if it's not near the real thing.

So to answer your question: Would I throw another wood in there? Nope, and in fact I'd try to change out some other flooring to get better flow going.

If you're thinking about selling your house, this is going to be a negative with buyers.

• harry_wild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

wi-sailorgirl,

I have talk with an interior decorator today and she said it depends on how it looks together. Based on that; I going to do a contrast - do the Walnut in the kitchen and dining room. I think it will look very nice. I say a Robb's Report that one of the 75 million dollar mansion had multi-color flooring too! So if a home that is that expensive can do it; I can too! People want something different from the norm - to separate them from the other bland styles.

Thanks for your input!

• Vicki
    13 years ago

I sensed some sarcasm in your last posting. People are going to voice their honest opinions on these forums whether it is the opinion you are looking for or not. Sounds like you had your mind already made up and was fishing only for comments telling you you were right. I think the key in the interior decorator's comment is "it depends on how it looks together". I think I would want the interior decorator to actually look at it. Not having seen your samples I would have gone wigth wi-sailorgirl's thoughts. I've never seen a laminate look good next to the real thing either.

• harry_wild
    Original Author
    13 years ago

" I've never seen a laminate look good next to the real thing either."

Don't tell the laminate companies. They may quit making laminate flooring!