Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinishing stained concrete

Posted by eleena (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 0:45

We have stained concrete floors throughout the house (except for MB which has wood floors). They came with the house, except for the three bedrooms that had carpet.

The original floors were done in 1991 and required waxing once a year. I hated the wax. It always left brown marks on socks and everything else. Plus, we were told not to clean the floors with water, just dust-mop it.

We tried but it just did not feel clean - and was not.

We had two small bedrooms scored and stained ~4 years ago. They have a clear finish that can be mopped.

I have been told by two contractors that we could re-finish all other concrete floors in the house so they would not require waxing and could be wet-mopped. But IDK if I believe it as I cannot find any info.

Do you know if it is possible and is a good idea?

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinishing stained concrete

We are currently building slab on grade and have also scored the concrete to look like tile. We did not acid stain it, but dyed it (no reaction with the concrete and looks a little more consistent to us...as well as being easier to do I think). To seal it we were given J25 sealer (http://www.maycomix.com/downloads/J-25-sealer.pdf). Not sure if it can be applied over wax, but I think it is supposed to be a decent sealer and may give you a place to start asking questions. This will need to be done every 2-3 years based on wear. Did you seal your score lines in the bedrooms? We used a special blade to cut 4x4' "tiles" and now I am wondering if we should fill the score lines with something so they don't collect crumbs, dirt, etc. Any thoughts on that?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here