Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best floor for rental?

Posted by eleena (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 0:05

Most of the house. except for the bedrooms, has tile.

The carpet in the bedrooms needs to be replaced. I personally don't like carpets, especially those cheap ones you usually see in rentals. But it is not feasible to put a nice one as it has to be replaced after every tenant who lives there for a few years.

What would be a durable and relatively inexpensive solution?

I was thinking Pergo but maybe, there are better options.

Input please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best floor for rental?

laminate will cost more than a mid line carpet from hd or lowes and install is usually quite a bit more also. renting a shampooer is cheap and proffesional cleaners are actually pretty reasonable.

o

It very much depends on the location of the rental and the kind of abuse you expect. Both cheap laminate and cheap carpet can be easily ripped out and replaced. Expect and accept this as your cost of being in business.

o

But Pergo is not a "cheap laminate", is it?

It is a single-family house in a nice neighborhood, not an apartment. Of course, renters don't take good care as they'd would if it were theirs, but they don't abuse it too much. This family has lived there for years. Too bad they are moving out. :-( :-)

What if I did invest in a nicer floor and just used some of those washable synthetic area rugs (that one can buy for $300-$400) to protect the floor?

TX!

o

I've seen Pergo in outlet stores dirt cheap. Guess you could put in a commercial-type carpet and clean it as PoolElliss suggests.

o

Hardwood Floors work pretty good because they can withstand a lot of abuse and every couple of years you just clean it and put a fresh coat of finish on it. It doesn't stain like carpet does, easier for tenants to clean. I have a few owners who like having hardwoods in their rentals.

o

Ceramic. 'Nuff said.

o

luxury vinyl tile

o

I just sent a link to another on this site about Costco's Bamboo Strand floor, someone figured out that it came to 2.07 sq ft, it's 59 a box, for me it was a bit more since I was fussy with which planks I used (some I just didn't like). I have it in my kitchen for 6 months now, and love it.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/flooring/msg0702143821075.html

o

"Ceramic. 'Nuff said."

After a few years it will have nice dark filthy grout line.

o

"Ceramic. 'Nuff said."
After a few years it will have nice dark filthy grout line.
I don't think she's talking about this floor, since there is no grout line. The Bamboo is a wood floor, no grout in it, the planks go right next to each other, as do all wood floors I've seen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here