Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherriode_gw

Acclimating hardwood

Sherriode
11 years ago

We are preparing to install solid hardwood-3" wide acacia. This is a DIY project. Never installed hardwood before, but we have experienced helpers.

I understand that the moisture content should be within 4% of that of the subfloor, but I was told that this particular species of wood tends to "hold on" to water and it will always be higher than the subfloor. We picked up 500 sq. ft of flooring a week ago. The boxes were all opened, plastic pulled off, and stacked with spacers between the boxes. MC was at 12% when we picked up the flooring. A week later it is still at 12%. I wouldn't be that concerned, except the subfloor is reading at just 1%. We are still at least 2 weeks from installation, but the MC has not budged, so I doubt it will change that much. Is the difference in MC going to cause the floor to buckle?

The subfloor is 65 y.o. solid planks (laid on the diagonal). Below is an unfinished basement, not wet, but more humid than the main floor. We will be nailing down the new hardwood. I live in the mid-atlantic region, humid summers and dry winters. The house is air conditioned, but temperatures have not been very warm so it hasn't run a lot. RH in the house has been about 60% at 72 degrees.

Do I need to crank the AC to dry out the air a bit more? Is it possible that the subfloor MC is only 1%, or is this likely a meter/operator error? Is the difference between the hardwood and the subfloor going to cause my new floor to fail? Any insight from a professional would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor