Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for the floor installer

Posted by raineygirl (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 23:39

I have heard that when laying hardwood or laminate wood flooring, you should lay it in accordance as to how the sun shines in your windows.

Is this true and if so, why? I know it has something to do with the seams...but not sure how the sun has anything to do with this?? I thought it would depend on the shape of the room..i.e. long narrow room would call for the planks to go lengthwise.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for the floor installer

I just laid 1200 sq ft of laminate and 300 sq ft of marmoleum click. I laid the laminate in the correct direction and I laid the marmoluem (12X36 planks) opposite of how light enters my room because it was just a lot easier.

The reason is seeing the seams and it is quite true. I can see most of my seams on the marmoleum that run in the opposite direction of the light and I can't see the seams that run in the same direction as the light.

I think this is only important in laminate if you use a type of laminate that is wider and is meant to represent 2 or 3 wood planks wide. Then you would see the seams every 3rd plank or so and it wouldn't be a good visual effect. I used single plank laminate so each board looks like an indivdual wood board so it doesn't matter if you see the seams, you are supposed to.

This only applies to floating floors. If you are nailing down hardwood, it generally runs in the opposite direction of your floor joists for floor stability.

o
RE: Question for the floor installer

For laminate it goes with the window just for aesthetics. Hardwood flooring should run perpendicular to the floor joists or on a diagonal for stability.
I would recommend that you lay out a few rows to get a feel for it and go what direction seems right to you. Usually this happens to be perpendicular to the joists.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here