Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krycek1984

Bamboo v laminate

krycek1984
10 years ago

We have been testing pergomax in the living room and letting the dogs run around...so far billet proof. However, we found a strand woven bamboo with a beautiful finish. So far no scratches. However, a screw driver test on the bamboo led to a scratch while pergomax barely had nothing.

What are your opinions? Will strand woven bamboo hold up to dogs like pergomax? We are worried about water infiltration to the fiber board core of pergo.

Comments (6)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

What you might want to consider before selecting Bamboo flooring, is if you will date your home just like Avocado Sinks and Refrigerators did in the late 60 and early 70's.

It's an appropriate material for use and looks in the tropics, but perhaps not a timeless look elsewhere in the US.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

What you might want to consider before selecting Bamboo flooring, is if you will date your home just like Avocado Sinks and Refrigerators did in the late 60 and early 70's.

It's an appropriate material for use and looks in the tropics, but perhaps not a timeless look elsewhere in the US.

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

Neither would be a choice with water.. No flooring will work with the issue that you have with the sags in your floor. That has to be repaired as discussed previously regardless of what flooring you choose. With the joists reinforced and a new subfloor, tile would be the best choice for your needs.

• krycek1984
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Contractor is dealing with the subfloor now...he says it is structurally sound so we are waiting to hear his plan to properly deal with the subfloor.

We are considering strand woven carbonized bamboo...it is gorgeous and to the untrained/undiscerning eye (I.e. family and friends and people that haven't obsessed over flooring for months) it really looks like quite nice...although it being dated at some point is certainly a concern to consider. Then again, the pergomax we are looking at is kind of rustic so that could become dated as well. Cost is similar for both (3.49 sq ft) so if we tear it up in 10 years its not a HUGE deal.

What I like about carbonized bamboo is that it isn't finished, the color is throughout so we can sand it, put some clear coats on it and be done.

Tile unfortunately isn't a realistic option in ohio other than kitchens, bathrooms, etc. we are definitely tiling the kitchen though!

We will have to be careful about water spills/urine no matter which choice we make.

We are looking at calibamboo, I read that they are good and reputable and less formaldehyde. And it looks just like the LL we fell in love with

• krycek1984
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update.....

We went with solid plank carbonized 9/16" bamboo from Ambient Bamboo. It turned out AMAZING. I'm so glad we went with the solid plank. It wasn't hard to put in at all with the proper tools. With the condition of the subfloor, in retrospect, it would have been a nightmare putting a floating floor in.

It's holding up great. Dogs run across it all day and no scratches.

Dog had an accident in one spot, no swelling or cupping or buckling. Very pleased.

• Ilene Perl
    10 years ago

I have bamboo strand in my kitchen and love it, was thinking of putting same floor in my den. I'm wondering why some consider it dating like avocado appliences, mine has a cherry look to it.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area