Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dancingqueengw

Smartstrand Intelligent Style

dancingqueengw
14 years ago

Any feedback on this type of Smartstrand for a family room? I love how soft it is and has nice color options. Price I was quoted was $5.23 sq ft w/o pad or installation. Reasonable? I am thinking a 10lb moisture proof pad. Do I evaluate by density, twist weight as I would a nylon carpet? TIA

Appreciate your feedback.

Comments (7)

• uafly1
    14 years ago

I just got Smartstrand in the $3 range with padding and installation.

• uafly1
    14 years ago

Sorry I wanted to clarify, I actually looked at the paperwork.
    I was quote $3.60/sq ft for Mohawk Smartstrand, installed with padding and $4.20/sq ft for Karastan Smartstrand installed with padding.

• mrsjoe
    14 years ago

3.60 installed with padding makes a lot more sense. I have also been looking at Intelligent Style. I have web shopped it and the four prices I have seen are 19.99, 20.54, 20.68 and 22.19 a yard. Web prices are usually at least a little cheaper, although I have found a couple local installers who match those prices pretty closely. If you add in the average prices I've been told on a decent pad and installation (around $3 and around $5 respectively), that's around $29 a sq.yd. versus the 32.40 you are looking at, but my area could be cheaper (SLC). If it helps you price shop, I believe this style is also known as Posh Origins sometimes.

• dancingqueengw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! Thanks for the responses. Even if my area (MSP) is more expensive it does not seem it should be THAT much more expensive. My quote has been $5.23 PLUS $3 for pad and installation therefore $8.23 total - and I need 385 sq ft. mrsjoe I will check on line - what a great idea never thought of ordering carpet on line. Do the color names stay the same or did you get samples in the mail? What colors are you considering? Thanks so much!

• boxers
    14 years ago

I worked for Mohawk for many yrs and can tell you right off that each style has multiple names and are sold under multiple Mohawk owned Brand names. Comparison shopping is very difficult. Buying online isn't the hidden idea you may envision. All Mohawk dealers pricing are FOB Dalton GA. Frt can add substantially and most homeowners don't have a forklift for the semi driver to unload your carpet for you.

• mrsjoe
    14 years ago

Yeah, we had thought about buying online, but thought better of it. I have just been online shopping in order to get an idea about the markup at various stores. If you do want to attempt to save some money, you might want to try what we are planning. We found a carpet installer off the CFI website, and it turns out he can get the carpet wholesale and sell it to us at around the same or cheaper then the online places. I think it's going to be so much easier dealing with only one company for everything. It also saves a bunch of money versus going to a hugely marked-up large store. Additionally, we know we are getting a Master installer. The only warning is you have to do most of your shopping and decisions using the internet instead of spending a ton of time in a store. Good luck.

• musica
    11 years ago

uafly1 - Where did you get the $3 pricing on smartstrand?
    Are there any only dealers anyone would recommend?