Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waterhog Rugs for wood floor protection

Posted by attygirl (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 8, 10 at 23:03

I have just had hardwood floors installed throughout my first floor and am obsessing about keeping them dry and clean, especially with the winter months fast approaching. I have been looking at the Waterhog line of rugs that seem to be ideal, if you are to believe the sales pitch. They are pricey so I wondered if they were worth the money. Has anyone had any experience with these rugs and would you recommend them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waterhog Rugs for wood floor protection

Yes, I have two Waterhog mats, and they are awesome. Definitely worth the money to me. However, they seem to be made of some fibrous, colored material over top of rubber, and in the high spots the fibrous material can wear off over the years. The mat then does not look as good as it did when new, though it still continues to function well. I bought some with an attractive leaf pattern, in a medium brown color to match most dirt, years ago, and they're still working great for me today.

o

I have a Waterhog pet bowl "rug" from LLBean. Lots of spills from the water dish and absolutely nothing gets on the floor underneath. My only issue with them is that the rough fiber material holds pet hair like velcro.

o

I came on here to ask about the same product as we have french doors at our back that are used constantly and track in lots of dirt/sand/mud. I think the reviews show that it is not just a sales pitch, I just want to make sure they don't harm my floor (engineered wood). Trying to justify the price in my head.

o

I don't have hardwood, but I do have laminate and I bought one 3' x 9' (approx) so it would cover the entire back entry from garage to where the shoes get stored. It didnt make a mark on the floors when I took it up in the spring (I dont use it during the summer or fall). It soaked up all the excess water during our Michigan winter and never saw any water on the laminate.

Very pleased.

o
floor protection

You can use some floor protection film for construction to waterproof the area then anything on top to soak it in. Maybe not as simple a floor protection solution as the water hog mats, but it woudl allow you to use any other material on top as a floor protector.

Here is a link that might be useful: floor protection

o

As an alternative, I have ordered from www.floormat-store.com a few times in the past for mats and stair treads on some jobs. Their Aqua Trap mat sounds like a good fit for your application. A direct link for that one is... http://www.floormat-store.com/commercial-mats/aqua-trap-150.html

From what I've found, they are priced very competitively and have high quality products.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: alternative matting options

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here