Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cordovaguy33

Novalis Vinyl Planks

cordovaguy33
12 years ago

I know that there are a few threads about this product on the site already, but it seems that they have reached their reply limits ... I just wanted to comment that I installed about 500 square foot of this in 3 bedrooms and two bathrooms about a year ago and it has been a great product. I have a slab foundation and once I removed the original carpet, I cleaned the slab as best I could and applied Henry's Vinyl Primer before installing the vinyl planks. I had originally planned these as a temporary solution until I got the cash to install bamboo in these rooms .. however, I think I'll keep the Novalis planks for longer than I had originally planned. This is a great product for under $1 a square foot. I have included a URL to a photo of the hallway. I used the "Golden Oak" product.

I have had a couple of stubborn planks that did not want to stay down, however, a little vinyl glue solved that problem. I used a spray bottle of "GooGone" to remove any excess adhesive on the tops of the planks. It seemed that some of the adhesive that was on the planks would squeeze out from time to time. I also did not notice any significant off-gassing or other odors from the planks during or after installation.

It seems to be wearing very well. I have not noticed any problems.

Also, I should add that I had previously always hated vinyl flooring. Mainly because of the sheet vinyl I was so used to while growing up in the 80's.

Everyone who has seen the floor has thought it was "real" hardwood. I think this is a great alternative to laminate flooring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hallway

Comments (5)

• babs77
    12 years ago

cordovaguy, your floors turned out gorgeous. We had the same product installed in our family room, powder room, laundry room and mud room. Loved it so much the carpet got pulled up in the adjoining Den and installed it there too. Now I'm contemplating doing the upstairs hallway :)
    We paid to have the FR/PR/LR/MR floors installed since we hired the same guy to do some other work that was beyond our DIY skills. But once I saw how easy-peasy it was to do I did the Den by myself. DIY projects don't get much easier than this!

• cordovaguy33
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks babs77! I just need to get around to installing some quarter-round to finish things off (sometime, hahaha). You are correct, it does not get much easier!

• cordovaguy33
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Incidentally ... I was watching some episodes of "Restaurant Impossible" the other day on The Food Network. It appeared that in a couple of cases, the designer & contractor were installing this product on the floors of the restaurant dining areas. In both cases, they used an additional adhesive, but the result was very nice in both cases.

• xlrrp
    12 years ago

Hi,

Last week we purchased enough Novalis planks to do our kitchen and both bathrooms. It was on closeout at Lowe's. We paid .25/square foot plus they took another 10% off because I'm a veteran. Wow, what a deal! Just did the small half bath and can't believe how good it looks. Very simple to install and my wife is very happy with it.

Chris

• mona68
    12 years ago

My Novalis floor is a nightmare of the worst kind. I also read all the good stuff about this product. When I saw it at Lowe's I loved the looks. Still do. I used Golden Oak Planks. So what is my nightmare you ask? It is all coming up, even after having it professionaly installed and glued down. When I look at my floors I could just cry. I will not find anything else I like the looks of better but this stuff has to come up and that will be labor intensive, and costly. If any have had this experience please contact me and tell me how you resolved it. monamichaels@att.net