Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krycek1984

Calibamboo

krycek1984
10 years ago

Has anyone had any experience with calibamboo? We really liked the Morningstar carbonized strand from LL and took some home, holding up well to three doggies and 3 cats.

I just got my samples in the mail from calibamboo for the same thing - strand carbonized. And I love it!!! It's even more durable!

Does anyone have experience with them or their floors?

Comments (6)

• goodbyekitty
    10 years ago

I think there is a big difference between bamboo sources. Some companies use new growth bamboo and others use bamboo that is between 5 to 7 years old. From what I have researched, carbonized bamboo is weaker...I can't remember why. But you combine that with bamboo that isn't quite mature and you may end up with a poor product.

LL has some pretty large samples but I don't know how you would be able to tell that it stands up to pets even with the sample they give you. However, there are 2 bamboo companies that I think are worth looking at and that is Calibamboo and Teregren(sp). They both seem to manufacture quality bamboo.

I really liked Cali, not the strand carbonized but their other samples. I decided bamboo looked too modern for my Spanish style home. If I had a loft or a more modern home, I would definitely go bamboo. I think Cali has excellent if not superior products either way.

• krycek1984
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I actually bought a case of the Morningstar and put it on the floor where the dogs run. No deep scratches that have significantly affected it; just some hairline stuff you can very barely see.

The calibamboo samples are quite a bit harder and much more difficult to scratch. The aluminum oxide doesn't show through as a white scratch unless I literally put all my weight onto a screw driver.

That being said, the Morningstar is more brilliant and unique. I may order a box of calibamboo to see if as a whole it is nearly as brilliant.

• goodbyekitty
    10 years ago

I have several samples of Cali. I tried to take a knife to it and the stuff does not scratch. Even pounded it with the butt end of a butcher knife. Nothing.

Maybe I didn't look hard enough but I couldn't find anything on how Morningstar harvested their bamboo. I would worry that they harvest it too soon. I have a friend who installed Morningstar. I can ask him how his floor is holding up. I know he doesn't have kids but I will ask him if he has pets.

Hopefully someone else on the board has experience with Morningstar will speak up?

• krycek1984
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Their website said 4-6years, which I would assume is 4 years. Calibamboo is 5-7.

I am going to call the, and see if I can purchase an odd lot or something instead of a whole box to see if it is as brilliant. All of their carbonized samples are actually different hues.

I have a sample from ambient on its way.

• lindshammer
    10 years ago

Did you decide on Calibamboo or find other resources discussing how it is surviving post-installation in real-life (dog, kids, etc.) homes? I am looking for Calibamboo experiences also. I just received some samples and I am impressed, but I want to hear how it is working out in homes.

• makanimauka
    10 years ago

I bought 1000 sq ft of the java wide click and the product won't even click together. I acclimated it just like their video and let it sit for 5 weeks and it still won't go together. It is a beautiful product and I wish it would go down (seems like the joints swell or too much wax) but even worse is the customer service experience I had with Cali Bamboo. If you read the complaints about them online I can say from experience say that it's true. If you do decide to go with this company pray that you don't receive a defective product because thy will leave you to hang and dry. I wish there were more reviews online and i had believed the negative reports about them when I was researching so I could have avoided this nightmare. I just thought that only the angry people will post things on the Internet, but it's true in the way they handle the customer. I would not wish this on anyone.