Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
williamsem

Flooring or hearth first? Replacing both.

williamsem
10 years ago

I decided now that the kitchen is mostly done, the carpet in the adjoining great room needs to go. It's old and stained. We love the new cork in the kitchen, but I think we will end up with wood floor in this room.

The hearth also needed to be enlarged to fit the mantel, which has now become a complete FP overhaul. I wanted to do that first before the floor. Now that it's all framed out, I need to tile it.

I have a lovely charcoal grey pebble tile and matching stacked pebble border to use, see pic.

So the question is, do I tile down to the subfloor and put the new flooring in around it (and what to do where they meet?), wait until we put in the new floor (at least a few months) and tile down to the floor, or put a spacer at the bottom to account for floor height and tile what will be above the floor.

Any thoughts? I figured learning to tile would be the hard part, but I'm learning it's the dozens of little details that really trip me up and highlight my lack of experience. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath