Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Area Rug over Laminate Flooring

Posted by mary_max (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 4, 08 at 21:27

If we put down an area rug over the laminate will it hurt the laminate over time? Should we buy some sort of protection pad before putting down the area rug? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Area Rug over Laminate Flooring

The finishes they put on laminate flooring are so tough I do not believe you will need any sort of protective pad. i have a relativly inexpensice laminate floor installed in part of my house that was there when we moved in that has survied 2 dogs and 3 cats without any sort of wear. I has a throw rug by the front door that has nt hurt it. So i think any rug will not hurt the floor at all.

o

The pad is as much for the rug as it is for the floor it is sitting on. Rug pads extend the life of the rug as well as keep them in place. Over time the rug backing can put fine scratches in any hard surface floor whether it's wood, laminate, or tile. Even area rugs with furniture on it can move a little bit. That's why they make a special pad for area rugs over wall to wall carpet application to prevent "walking" of the rug.

o

I'm sorry to report that both responses are mostly inaccurate. Laminate floors have stabilizers in the clear wear layer that will cause discoloration regardless of what type of pad you use on a rug. Even a trash can will discolor laminate over time if left in place. An area rug, with or without pad will almost certainly do the same.

o

I've going through this same problem. Want to put pad under area rugs on laminate flooring and got some that are: polyester scrim coated with pvc. Is this not suitable for laminate flooring?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here