Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tile Do-over Have a few questions

Posted by rudysmallfry (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 21:23

So about three years ago, I tiled my bathroom. Shortly thereafter, the tiles started shifting when I stepped on them in a few spots. It quickly became clear I made some errors. I thought the shifting was due to the fact that I did not mortar under the backerboard.

Today I finally got around to pulling it all up. I'm now back to square one. Nice flat wood subfloor. When I pulled the tile up today, it was obvious with the way the tiles popped up that the mortar under the tiles was likely the problem. The backerboard seemed to be down nice and tight.

So that all being said, before I get over ambitious to finish the job and screw it up again, should I put mortar under the backerboard or not?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tile Do-over Have a few questions

Yes...you can not tell if it is tight. The tiniest of vibration under that board can give you grief. You may be fine, but there is no way of knowing for sure. Good Luck.

o

Now that you've got a clean slate, instead of redoing with backerboard, try Ditra instead. It costs more, but it's way easier to work with, isn't dusty/messy to cut, and provides a better isolation of movement in the subfloor.

o

If the manufacturer of the underlayment says to put down thinset, I'm not sure why you would not want follow their recommendation. There is also a screw pattern that needs to be followed as well.

Although I'd be more inclined to think that the tiles popping was more a function of not having enough thinset under the tiles. After you lay a tile pull it up and ensure you 85+% coverage. If you don't have enough coverage you have the wrong trowel or are using it incorrectly. Again, carefully read the instructions on the bag and follow them.

o

The thinset under backerboard is NOT to stick it down - that is what the screws are for. The thinset is there to fill all of the void space so there is no flex when you step on it. Failure to place the backerboard with thinset under it was just begging for failure - exactly what you saw.

Additionally, your floor needs to be stiff enough for tile. What is under your backerboard? Hint - plywood, plywood, plywood. You want 1 1/4" substrate under tile. Then you need an isolation layer to prevent cracks, tiles popping - this will be either backerboard or an isolation membrane, such as Ditra (much thinner than backerboard). Then tile. Do it correctly and you'll have a solid floor that lasts pretty much forever.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here