Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
High gloss or no gloss laminate flooring?

Posted by raineygirl (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 21:20

I'm hearing from some folks that high gloss laminate wood flooring shows everything from smudges to small particles of dust/lint. It appears that high gloss can be high maintenance. I wonder if no gloss or low gloss is the same way? I know that the darker the wood color is, the more it would show dust, etc. But, would that be the same for light colored wood floors?

I'm still trying to decide on a color and I really do like the high gloss but I'm afraid that I will become obsessed with any smudge or footprint that is left behind. I don't want to spend all my time trying to keep it looking good. I know it's a transition from carpeting since carpet pretty much hides everything until the next time you vacumn.

Anybody here have high gloss or low gloss and what are your experiences?

Thanks,
Raineygirl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: High gloss or no gloss laminate flooring?

When it comes to choosing flooring material, many homeowners choose laminate flooring and that too laminate flooring because of its high shine finish. In general, high gloss laminate flooring doesn�t require much maintenance than high gloss hardwood flooring. Laminate flooring does not require regular waxing as hardwood does and can be cleaned with a regular broom, vacuum or mop.

o
RE: High gloss or no gloss laminate flooring?

We've had laminate floors for a few months now. The upstairs is a lighter, low gloss finish, the downstairs is a dark, high gloss finish.

The upstairs is the easiest. Just a quick vacuum with a stick vac and a run over with a microfiber dry mop and we're good to go.

The downstairs? The same thing, but it needs to be done more often (every other day, vs. twice a week) Still, for the look of the downstairs high gloss, it's well worth it to me. I do have a spray bottle of Bruce cleaner for laminate floors, but I hardly ever seem to use it, and when I do, it's mostly for the entry hall where we come in from outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here