Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help choosing hardwood

Posted by mbpel (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 21:08

My husband and I are trying to choose a solid red oak prefinished hardwood for our kitchen, hall and living room. We want the floor to have some raised graining that helps hide puppy prints. Our current prefinished floor in the living room (preverco) has a smooth-as-glass finish that shows everything! Some people have even thought it's not "real wood" because the finish is so smooth. (Otherwise, the floor is great and we feel we just chose the wrong finish.) We want our new floor to look more like real wood, but we don't want hand scraped. We want some color variation, but not knots, checks or dark marks. Our local store carries Lauzon and some of the samples have the texture we like. We are looking at Northern Classics red oak pacific grade, but are concerned because most of the pieces seem so "swirly" and maybe too busy. We're worried that select and better wouldn't have enough color variation, but we're not sure. Can anyone comment on either or post some pictures? Since we are ripping out the living room (not that old) to match the new installation in the kitchen, we want to get it right this time!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help choosing hardwood

Sorry I am responding so late to your post. I have not been checking in the Flooring Forum for a while, now.

Did you already purchase your flooring? If so, what did you end up getting and can you post any pictures?

I have Lauzon engineered red oak natural select & better. Our flooring is the straight edge type (no bevels). We don't have pets, but it's held up very well!

Photobucket

Photobucket

o
RE: Need help choosing hardwood

I'm curious too, what you chose 'to hide puppy prints'. I recently pulled out the old torn up fir in my office area, and replaced it with Bruce Gunstock Oak. It was inexpensive and easy to install and it does tend to hide things well, without looking smooth like the above photos. The grain actually looks more pronounced. You see, in an old house, I don't want things looking so new!

Here's a shot.
office floor2

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here