Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions on flooring in reach-in closets?

Posted by c_e_e_g (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 19:58

I'm in the midst of a gut renovation of my apartment, including five closets which have been cleared of everything down to the cement floor. I hadn't given the floors in the closets much thought so far, because save for one slightly larger closet (maybe 4'x6'), they're all reach-in or pantry depth. So I won't be walking in them, and not much flooring will be visible.

However I'm finding it more difficult than anticipated to find photos or discussions around flooring within small closets (perhaps because most people's hardwood floors continue uninterrupted into the closet). So I was hoping to hear what people would do with a small closet floor space. Ceramic tile? Click wood flooring? Carpet squares? Terra cotta? For reference, my floors are cherry-stained parquet, and my overall apartment look leans towards classic/traditional (read: I'm a fan of white subway tile). The closets will be painted white and not have much frill. Anyway I'd love to hear what people with similar situations have done with their closet floors, I'm starting to feel the pressure of the decision upon me. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions on flooring in reach-in closets?

Closet flooring should be a continuation of the room's flooring. Otherwise you will have to deal with transition strips or thresholds. Plus, it's much more attractive to use the same flooring and brings greater continuity to the home as a whole.

o
RE: Suggestions on flooring in reach-in closets?

I definitely agree, and ideally that would have been the case. However the construction in the apartment was such that the parquet flooring ended (rather unelegantly) at the threshold. The previous tenant had some vinyl flooring in there that was basically one notch above contact paper, so I can't really take any pointers from his solution! My sense is I should go in a direction away from hard wood, so as not to draw more attention to the transition from floor to closet. Does that make sense?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here