Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
what_now

Laminate floor repair. Nailing?

what_now
10 years ago

Long story short. My fridge line burst and damaged the laminate floor in the kitchen. I hired a reccomened company to replace 115 sqft. Instead of following instructions to glue they have placed nails in some of the strips. This is strip floating laminate floor. How bad is this? Im
Picturing seams opening up in the winter and then not closing back since its nailed in the center of the house ( floor was floated on entire first floor - approx 1000 sqft). I havent yet paid and just got a message from owner saying "I hope you understand this wont be 100 percent perfect since its a repair". Any advice?

Comments (12)

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

Water damaged laminate is a replace, not a repair. It needs to be removed and new laminate installed.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

I agree...once a laminate floor experiences a water event, it's usually a total loss.

Tacking laminate down?...tsk tsk...

• what_now
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for the confusion. All the water damaged planks were pulled. New was pieced in. Instead of gluing like the mfg repair instructions stated they nailed it to floor. Large gaps between pieces in a row were filled with putty. At this point I feel like it should be ripped out and done right, but they insist its right and as good as it gets.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Good as it get's for a hack job. You need to get someone else and have it done correctly. It is a "floating" floor for a reason and nailing it, well...........

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Duplicate post

This post was edited by millworkman on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 9:30

• what_now
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. Im so PO with this company. Any ideas how I can find someone who knows what they are doing? Found this co through recco by friends.

• DanG4
    10 years ago

I used to be a factory rep for Mohawk. Laminates are a 'floating floor' so nailing is NEVER recommended. You need a replacement and I'd sue the installer to get compensation. Did you get these guys from an insurance adjuster? Its not proper to nail nor use 'putty' on a laminate.

• User
    10 years ago

If this restoration contractor did something so contrary to standard installation practices, I'd really hate to see what else he's done that you just didn't catch. He's a hack, pure and simple. And I'd take my complaints to whatever board of contractors that you have in your state as well as whatever consumer review websites are possible to leave reviews with. Nothing emotional, just the statement of facts: he violated the standard installation instructions from the manufacturer and refused to fix it.

• what_now
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. I contacted an attorney friend of friend to see what my legal options are and where he can be reported in my state. Regardless of what happens, the floor will be ripped up and I will get it installed properly.

• what_now
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I uploaded a few pics. The first one was their first attempt of trying to install a lock n fold laminate flat and banging it in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics

• what_now
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just a followup. My sister and I pulled all the incorrectly installed laminate. We found that the subfloor was not dry like they stated, so we have now removed three cabinets, a 4x8 area of subfloor and found a wet floor joist. Its being dried out while we add bracing between joists for the new sheet of plywood. Moisture readings were as high as 43%.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

A restoration contractor and that is claimed to be acceptable? I'd call that restoration contractor 'alleged' to start. Inexcusable!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths