Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving to a house with natural stone tile

Posted by DomesticPixie (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 11, 11 at 18:22

Does anyone know what this tile is? Is it travertine?
It is clearly "unfilled" since there are visible holes in several areas. I know nothing about tile but was hoping to get some info before calling and getting quotes from the tile restoration places in my area. I probably need it filled and sealed. What polish finish will hold up best. How much should I expect to pay per square foot? What do I need to know.
Please help me with any info you have.

http://tilefloors.shutterfly.com/pictures

Here is a link that might be useful: my floor

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving to a house with natural stone tile

From what I can see in the pics, looks like Travertine marble. If the holes are of great concern, they can be grouted over.

After that, I would use a good penetrating sealer such as DuPont's "Stonetech" sealer. Standard sealer will not change the character of the floor. An "Anhancing Sealer" will tend to bring out the natural colours and character.

This is, of course, assuming it hasn't been allready sealed. Dribble some water on the tile and see if it absorbs within 5 or10 minutes. If it does, it has been sealed. If it doesn't, it hasn't been and the "enhancer" will do little to change it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here