Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood floor layout?

Posted by footwedge (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 4, 11 at 18:15

Is it ok to place one of the floor planks at the threshold between adjacent rooms to allow the floor to run the long direction of the adjoining room? I'm thinking of running the planks in the kitchen and the adjacent dinning room and foyer in opposite directions (normal to each other).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood floor layout?

Yes, direction changes are fine, as long as the joist are running opposite the flooring, or another layer of plywood is added to beef up the subfloor, or if you are going over concrete.

o

is this commonly done or personal preference? I'm just used to seeing wood floors all continuous.

o

I think it's a personal preference. I would prefer my wood to always run parallel to the longest side of the room, which will necessitate a direction change. I also personally prefer that look, including a threshold. A lot of older houses are that way. Then again, I also like the broken up layout of traditional houses (in contrast to open concept which is popular today. I actually like that changing direction and using a threshold intensifies the "individual room" look of a traditional layout.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here