Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrine822_gw

Tile Help - Please! Bill, Mongo et al... (cross post)

katrine822
11 years ago

This is also posted in 'bathrooms'. It really isn't a flooring issue, more of a walling issue:)

Okay, we are in process of redoing my son's bathroom and using this as an 'audition' of sorts for the GC etc.. for the master bath, kitchen and basement. (I think I am not going to use this particular GC as he really isn't GC'ing IMHO, but that is another story.)

Anyway, the first wall of the tile is going in - 12's with a slate accent strip through the niche. I expressly told the installer that I am a math geek/OCD about symmetry and while I would love to have the accent strip go right in the middle of the niche, my first priority is that I don't have odd little pieces of field tile hither and yon.

We went over the layout - fine. I again reiterated, I do not want smallish pieces of field tile - I want whole pieces wherever possible. So I go back up and find... voila. Small 3/4" strip on the bottom on the niche. ARG!!!

After him telling me numerous time that it just lined up this way with the slate being in the middle - my shennanigans meter started going off. I said if we moved all the field tile up that distance, including the slate mosaic, would that solve the problems? Yes. Wil I have any goofy pieces at the top/bottom? No

He said that he needed to know before it set whether I wanted it taken down or not. I told him absolutely.

My question to you folks - am I being ridiculous? Bill and Mongo I sure could use some input from the pros here. We moved to Chicago from NY and I didn't realize just how spoiled I was with 'my guys' out there.

Comment (1)